Sunday, February 28, 2016

The End of the 20x21






Free People Hat (gift) / AEO Bag

Helmut Lang Jacket (consigment)
Old Navy Long Sleeve Tee
Rag and Bone Pants (ebay)
Seychelles Boots

IT IS DONE. The last day of the 20x21 challenge and I'm not going to lie, I am REALLY excited to wear some different clothes! As a quick refresher, here's all 21 outfits.


Going into the challenge I felt pretty positive, everything seemed like it went together and the first week was easy - I was so excited about the challenge and it was simple picking out outfits every morning. Just grab something from the 20 items and tada, dressed. But that ease got to me, you can see the outfits where I really phoned it in. (see #15 and #21.) Some days I felt fried and even though I only had 20 items to pick from, I still felt like nothing went together or oh jezz, I wore that outfits yesterday and I ended up with some outfits that felt really forced. (see #8, #12 and #18) I think if I'd thought about my capsule a little more going into it, I wouldn't have had this problem. I really felt like I was wearing the same look over and over again and I wish I'd used my Acne high rise, wide leg jeans - I think they would have made outfits #15 and #21 a lot better with both of those outfits having form fitting tops, loose bottoms would have worked better. I also can't believe I put only two dresses and one skirt into this capsule. WHO IS THIS PERSON?! I really missed my maxi dresses and I feel like I lost a little bit of my style by not including at least one other one in, maybe one of my more boho-ish dresses would have added some much needed color and change to the silhouettes! I also missed my shoes badly. For some crazy reason I only included 3 boots and I wore the Sorrels hardly at all so I really only used two boots. I've learned I need more than two boots in my life, Ev heard me complain many a morning about wanting to wear my other boots!

However, I also had a great time. I felt like I hit my stride by the last week after the slump during the middle and I became more comfortable with just wearing the same thing over and over again. I LOVE my Rick Owens midi dress, it's just so awesome to wear and it was very versatile, most of my favorite outfits were with it! (#14, #19, #20) I also really like wearing my Free People sweater, the asymmetrical hem and longer length make it work with so many things. The purple Rag and Bone jeans could me off guard with how much I enjoyed wearing those, the color was unexpected for me but it worked really well in the capsule. (possibly because everything was black?)  I will also say that this was a great challenge for me because I'm usually sick of taking outfit photos by February, it's cold outside and I have no mojo left. This year I felt like I did way better and hey, I even put more effort into taking pictures!

Overall, I really did enjoy the experience and I'm happy I did it. I don't think I could do a capsule wardrobe because man, I really, REALLY like my shoes. It did show me how much I like having my wardrobe to play around with and it made me really excited to wear thing in my closet rather than looking for something new. Right now I feel like I have some many possibilities, I think I'm going to really slow down in what I add in because I think I'm at a good spot with it.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had fun.

    It's amazing though how we tend to gravitate towards same outfits, minus the capsule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really interesting project. I know I would have a tough time with just 20 items to choose from! But on the other hand it might make things a little easier because I do tend to get overwhelmed by too many choices.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)