Sunday, January 24, 2016

Snow Skirts





UO Hat
Scarf (gift)
J.Crew Coat (consignment)
Anne Klein Cashmere Sweater (thrifted a few years back)
J.Brand "Maria" Jeans (ebay)
Leather Boots (Christmas gift a while back)
Snow Skirt (Christmas gift)

Another practical outfit today, I thought I'd show how I wear some of my outdoor gear. This snow skirt was a Christmas gift from my in-laws and I absolutely love wearing it. It's a nice alternative to my snow pants and if I'm wearing a skirt, it's also a lot easier to strip off the snow skirt once I'm inside than snow pants are!

This was a casual work outfit, because of the snow and colder weather everyone in AK wears "outdoors" boots or shoes and once we get inside, we switch to our indoor work shoes. (Or just take them off if we're in someone's house, I'm not sure if removing your shoes is just an Alaskan thing - when I've gone down to the states people get confused when I remove my shoes before going inside. In Ak it's considered seriously rude not to remove your shoes and get snow/ice/mud all over your host's floors.) These are some older leather boots that are insulated so they do a decent job of keeping my feet warm when I'm running around. The layers might not be everyone's preferred aesthetic but I like them for warmth's sake, I really dislike shorter coats over jeans and getting cold air down my backside or sitting on a cold car seat. In the middle of winter we have to plug our cars in so they'll actually start in -50F and usually let them idle for 20 mins before leaving so the engine has time to warm up and the oil can cycle but the seat is always really cold and hard when you jump in! With the longer coat over the high waist snow skirt and then tall boots that come up under the hem of the skirt I'm completely covered and there's lots of trapped air in-between the layers to keep me insulated.

I believe these are call "scoop skirts" but I've only heard others refer to them as snow skirts. Either way, they're really great if you're doing a lot of walking around or wearing dresses/skirts and don't want them wrinkled from jamming them into snow pants. I do use my snow pants for outdoor activities like hauling and cutting firewood/playing/snow machine riding/snow shoeing/skiing, pretty much any activity where you're really getting into the snow.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie. First timer here. I'm a Nigerian living in Calgary and still trying to figure out how to dress for winter 4 years in. I've never heard of a snow skirt but I looks like something I would love to add to my wardrobe. Thanks for the good info

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa what!? Most practical skirt ever made for cold weather 0_o That is awesome! I've never seen one of these actually, haha but they need to get more popular!

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)