Thursday, January 7, 2016

Put A Belt On It








UO Hat
AEO Jacket and Belt
H&M Cardigan (thrifted)
AllSaints Silk Dress (thrifted)
Free People Boots
Coach Bag (consigment)

Remeber back during the fall when I was talking about what a great thrifting day I had, when I said I found a ton of nice, brand name stuff like my Elizabeth and James sweater and an AllSaints Dress? This is the dress! It was so exciting to find an AllSaints garment, in my size, and for it to be such a cool looking dress! It was on the half off tag off the week so I ended up getting it for only $6.49, a sweet deal for such a nice dress. It didn't have an wear but it was a little confusing to put on, there's a few different layers of the silk and the first time I wore it backwards. (Embarrassing.) 

I feel like there's a few different style influences in my wardrobe, I love the whole bohemian/Western look and I really love the ninjagoth/Rick Owens/Vivvene Westwood look and then having to fit those two looks into a wardrobe that also works for everyday stuff can have really mixed results. I've tried to make it work by having jackets that work for everything and then making black jeans and boots be a fondation. That lets me swing whichever way I'm feeling that day - as you can see today I was feeling the dark layers. It's  something I've been working on for the past two years and while it's not quite there yet, I think in time it will work out. Finding your own personal style and then really making it yours seems to take anywhere between 2-4 years and since I'm heading into year 5 of this blog, it should finally start happening!

The title is joking reference to my apparent desire to belt everything - it's so 2011/2012 to belt a dress but as long as it's not a skinny belt, I feel like it can work. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Another title for this post might have been "Trash Cans Happen."  Evan took these pictures and at the end he apologized for the trash can showing up - it' all right, trash can just happen in real life.  He did a great job with these pictures, he's gotten a good eye for shots so it's pleasant not having to always break out the tripod in public. (Because I won't, I'll just go hide in the woods and take pictures and if that's not the saddest thing you've learned about me today, I don't know what is.)

3 comments:

  1. I always have the urge to wear belts with dresses too, but I'm trying to more away from that a bit. Or at least get some different looking belts into my wardrobe, haha! I'm still working on figuring out my style, I seem to change my mind so much it's hard to pinpoint what I really like. That's a really pretty dress! I have been gravitating more towards dark clothes lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bought a handful of belts to wear with dresses over time, but rarely wore/wear them, it always feels too fussy to me. I don't know if I am coordinated enough to pull it off.

    On a side note, having a photographer sounds wonderful! The tripod sure does get old. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bahaha, oh good ole 2011/2012...I remember that era! The age of the belt xD Not gonna lie, I have a ton of belts that haven't gotten much use in a loooong time. But I need to! Otherwise what's the point of having all of those?
    Love this outfit girl - you know me and my feelings for black clothing. Especially black boots! <3

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)