Friday, May 22, 2015

Alaskan Style Trends





Urban Outfitters Hat
Love Culture Denim Jacket (thrifted)
Old Navy Blouse and Skirt
Free People Bag (ebay)
DV by Dolce Vita Shoes

Alaskan can be kinda weird when it comes to clothing trends, we're a lot quicker on picking up trends than we were before, only a few years as opposed to 20 year behind.   Trends vary from region to region, Anchorage is pretty cosmopolitan with a lot of fashionable people, the valley is well...the valley and the coast tends to be pretty practical.  Fairbanks is a mish-mash of this, we have some big stores so people do try to look cute but you don't see a lot of platform stilettos around.  Practicality is a big factor, especially with the winters being so harsh and most people just like being comfy. (So yeah, lots of pjs at Walmart.)  I don' get to visit Anchorage very often so I can't speak for them but I can tell you what Fairbanks/North Pole is wearing!

I know, you're waiting with baited breathe. 

 Fashion trend for Fairbanks, Alaska this year: maxi skirts.  Man, they are everywhere.   It's not like the stores have more of a selection than normal(they don't) but you can't swing a stick in town without whacking someone in a maxi skirt. Well, you really can't swing stick around without hitting people but......

I think people like maxis so much because they are comfortable and they look good on everyone, height, weight, whatever, a maxi looks good.  I don't looove my legs so on days when I'm not really feeling it, a maxi really helps.  They just look cute!   You don't even need to wear heels with them, I've seen most people wearing cute little sandals and with the variety of skirts out there, it's pretty easy to find one that doesn't pool on the ground if you're short.  A good way if you're shopping online and want to know if a maxi will be too long: measure from hips to feet and then compare that measurement against the lengths posted.  Most sites will post lengths and if they don't you can always email customer service.

Anyways, maxis.  They're comfy, you don't have to worry about wind or flashing people and the skirts are actually just as comfortable and cool in the heat as shorts. Just check the material, cotton blends or light silk are really nice and while you have to be careful with it, chiffon is really nice as well. (Just watch out for what the lining is made of!)

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I should try and throw a stick several times and see what type of clothing it hits! Maybe this is how designers decide on trends, I've always wondered how they do it! :D
    Love your maxi skirt, I found a similar one on Choies and was wondering if I should take it, but didn't :( Love how you paired it too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)