Thursday, February 5, 2015

Down Time






Urban Outfitters Hat
Wool Coat (thrifted)
Old Navy Shirt
American Eagle Outfitters High Rise Jeans
Spell Designs Dreamweaver Bag (ebay)
Rag & Bone Harrow Boots

Not much going on right now, it's ben pretty cold so everyone's just hibernating right now.  We did get out the other night, the local library does a pj story time about once a month and it's always something that's a lot of fun for the kids.  They get to dress up in pjs and slippers and snuggle with stuffed animals while listening to stories and it's a nice way to get out of the house during a cold and dark winter.  The library is town really has some great programs and activities for kid, there's usually a few movie days each month and all sorts o different events.  Last month they did a "Ball" themed party - I think the only other time I've seen so many Elsa's was t Halloween!  They have another "Frozen" themed day coming up with all of the Frozen characters there - Izzy's really excited about it!
I'm trying to take advantage of the down time and actually read some books, the summer was so busy that when I'd try to read at night, I'd only get through a page before falling asleep.  That makes for some slow going.  Right now I'm trying to finish up The Chrysanthemum and The Sword, so far it's been a really interesting look into Japanese culture and mentality. It was written 1946 during the war so I'm not entirely sure how politically accurate it is but I did enjoy that it goes into so much description of the culture.   It is a little dry and repeats itself constantly so I feel like I've reread the same paragraph over and over but the subject matter is really fascinating, I think I'll have to look up a little more about the context of the book before I take it as a accurate portrayal though - parts of it felt more like sensationalization rather than a true anthropology.  

3 comments:

  1. Katie, can you talk a little bit about how you layer clothing for this temperature? It's shocking to think that this little wool coat is your outer protection in that cold weather - what are you wearing underneath to support that? I'm so much further south than you but I can't leave the house without my one heavy and thick coat. You manage such creative outfits instead. Please help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple tricks for keeping warm!
    I wear thermals under everything - a layer close to the body layered under a sweater or a button up makes a huge differance. I wear the ones Fred Meyer sells, they're rated for -60 below and they're insanely warm just by themselves. A sweater or button up traps that heat and with a coat over that, it's really warm - I've found it to be warmer than just wearing a shirt and my parka. (old navy's long sleeve tees are a nice alternetive if thermals are too warm, they're really soft, not bulky and seem to last pretty well.)
    100% wool coats with a lining are also good, thin 30% wool, 70% other fibers and not lining are awful at trapping body heat. (Old navy's coats are really cute but NOT warm - I've really only been able to find 100% wool coats by thrifting now). Fleeces are also really nice under wool coats, I have a North Face vest I wear every now and then if I'm really cold.
    Cashmere is also great for trapping body heat, I wear my Banana Republic cashmere cardigan in most of my outfits right under my coats and I've never gotten cold with it.
    Scoop skirts are also great if you don't want to wear thermals under jeans/dresses, they zip right over, don't wrinkle skirts, fold up really small and are very cute! They come in three different length as well!
    I do always wear mittens just because my fingers freeze and I've been wearing my bigger hats on any days there's a breeze but that's all I can think of. I complain about the cold a lot but it really doesn't bother me. Our winters are usually quite a bit colder than what we've had this year, people wear shorts and have bare legs under skirts when it warms up to -20F, we've just sort of adapted. I hope I was a little helpful, sorry I don't have anything really great. Thank you for taking the time to read and ask, I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great that your library has so many events! That PJ night actually sounds like fun - I'd go to it xD Now if only I was a wee child so I could get away with it...
    You'll have to do a book review and share what you learned! Definitely sounds like an interesting read, if only to get a better idea of the culture and thinking of that time.
    Love the outfit as well, the pairing of chambray and plaid is classic. Especially when accessorized with fringy awesomeness and a good ole western styled hat ;)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)