Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Circle In The Sand







Urban Outfitters Hat
Old Navy Parka
Free People Dress (ebay)
Spell Designs Bag (ebay)
Fergie Boots (Christmas gift)


Lately we've had a problem with squirrels getting into the insulation around the house and the well house.  I've been trying to humanly scare them off and more recently spraying everything with Rodent Repellent but a few days ago they got under the well house and ripped all of the insulation out from under it, causing a freeze up.  We repaired the broken pipe but now they've gotten so brazen about the whole thing that Ev's hunting them now.  I don't like having to resort to that but they're just so destructive that having them around is a really large problem.   (The pipe caused a chain reaction and we ended up having to haul the pump up out of the well, all seventy feet and re-prime it.  Really not that much fun.)  

I suppose we're lucky that squirrels are our biggest problem, in both Seward and Anchorage we always had to watch out for bears, especially within the city limits!  They just wander around town, trying to get an easy lunch and unfortunately some people are so blasé about it that accidents happen.  Last summer Ev's parent had a bear and cubs wandering around their neighborhood and a lady was outside, less than 15 feet away from the bears, phone in one hand and a little baby in the other.   One of the first things we learn as little kids is to never get near a mother and her cubs, the sows are extremely protective and it's why quite a few of the bear attacks occur.   Fairbanks is unusual in that we really don't have a bear problem in town, there was a bear wandering around on Chena Ridge and people were all freaked out about it.  It's pretty mild compared to the village up north along the coast, up there you have to have a gun every time you go outside in the winter because the polar bears will sneak right up on you.  They're very clever, they hide their black noses with their paws so you can't even see them coming, they just appear out of nowhere and you're a dead duck at that point.

It can be hard trying to coexist with the animals, I feel quilt because they were here first and while I do want to be a good steward of the land, it's also hard to balance that with trying to keep your property intact or stay safe.  I'll be honest, I really, really like running water and all I want to for the squirrels to stop tearing apart the walls and ripping out the insulation. 

4 comments:

  1. I think you went about it very practically with the squirrel situation. Sometimes they just don't respond to your peaceful tactics, and there's a time when the big guns need to come out (literally).
    Anyway, running water is definitely a luxury that helps make winter more bearable! Hope your squirrel situation gets resolved!
    On a side note, love the boho dress paired with the wintery parka. Perfect combo :)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing about life in Alaska! Polar bears? wow! I like your dress a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like if I lived there, I'd be like that too. I'm such an animal lover, but not so much if my survival depended on their extermination...sounds awful, but it's life, life's awful... :D
    On a more positive note, I love the parka, bohemian dress combo you're sporting here! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)