Monday, June 23, 2014

Blueberry Blossoms







Free People Embroidered Dress (ebay)
Leather Bag (thrifted)
American Eagle Outfitters Sandels

I bought this dress for really cheap off ebay and when it arrived, it ended up being way bigger than it was supposed to have been.  It wasn't even like over-sized in a cute way but sloppy-over-sized looking.  I figured I could just do a few alteration and slim it down a little and before I knew it, I was in over my head.  My sewing skills are pretty pitiful, I can do small thing and with this dress being embroidered in the front, the back and the sides (who does that anymore, don't they know they're suppose to do the cheap route and only embroidered the front?) and the only way I could have done it correctly was to take the entire dress apart.

I went the lazy around and did a bunch of tiny little darts(I know, I deserve the screams you sewers are making right now) buuuuut....it sorta worked.  Everything held up, it looks okay and it's held up in the wash so far.  

My lazy person mad sewing skillz aside, I really, really like this dress.  the embroidery is all of the way around and aside from a few spot, is in really good condition. I did get it for cheap and wasn't really expecting that much but it's just so gosh darn pretty that I don't even care that I spent seven hours trying to adjust it. (I'm slow to boot.)   One thing I really like about the white dresses Free People puts out is most of them are really thick cotton with lining which seems to be a rarity with white dresses these days.

3 comments:

  1. I sew, but no screams of horror from me (I figure all the gorgeous embroidery distracts from the darts). I thrifted a J Crew linen dress that has slightly gaping armholes, so I will be doing a quick and dirty alteration by taking it in slightly along the back. It has decorative top-stitiching in colored thread down the center front, but thankfully none down the back ... which is why your comment of "don't they know they're suppose to do the cheap route and only embroider the front?" made me laugh.
    That second photo is absolutely lovely - you look like you belong in a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say, this combination of the satchel and the dress looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)