Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Hazy Afternoon










Old Navy Parka
Jacket c/o H&M
Fred Meyer Lace Top
Jessica Simpson Jeans (thrifted)
Leather Boots (thrifted)
Lapis and silver Earrings

I've gravitated more towards studs or no earrings ever since I cut my hair, it's pretty rare for me to wear long ones. (I think it's because I worry about it looking too matronly or worse, Kate Gosslin-y.)  Id forgotten how pretty these earrings were and it was fun to try something a little different.  I do wish I hadn't worn my tall boot socks though, they make the whole look a little awkward and are throwing the proportions on the legs off.  I know everyone talks on and on about "no rules when it comes to style!" but I think when it comes to a really successful sense of style, the rules regarding proportions are absolutely important.  (And to be honest, that always reminds of the people who try to draw in their own style before having a good grasp of basics or people who think they can jump before they've learned good flat work.  It ain't happening and it's straight up lazy.  In the case of horse jumping, it's also dangerous.)  Looking at all of the street style "greats" or anyone who has a truly fabulous sense of style, they all know about proportions of clothing and how it relates to their own body. (I think fit also goes hand in hand with this one.)  I'm a pretty slow learner at this and I suppose it's sorta stupid to talk about proportions when I'm just wearing a parka, boots and jeans but I really do think its the foundation of dressing yourself.  

6 comments:

  1. You make a good point. No rules in fashion isn't really the same as picking proportions that flatter. It's not really a rule, it's more like something good to go off

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn! Okay I need tomato own ting on my phone. Wow. Okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, proportions is a foundational thing to know about when dressing yourself. I mean, some fashion rules are silly (no white after Labor Day? Come on), but being proportional is just common sense!
    Haha, anyway, you certainly know all about this. I love seeing how far your sense of style has come since I've started reading it. I'm still learning, but it helps to observe how others have grown in their style :)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a sense of aesthetic balance is really important to a good outfit. But it's all subjective, so who knows.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)