Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Woodland Forage








Jones Jeans Wool coat (thrifted)
H&M Sweater (thrifted)
Dress and Hat c/o H&M
Ariat Riding Boots (very old, from the late 90s.)
Leather Bag (thrifted)
American Eagle Outfitters Leather Belt

I've had these boots for a very long time, they were my competition boots(and regular riding boots) and still are even though they're getting worn out in some spots.  I usually retire them for the winter and ride in my brown Leather Dublin boots or chaps and my (even older) Ariat paddock boots.  I do try to bring them out and break them back in a little so that first fitting and ride in the summer isn't so awkward. (Horse people hear me one this one.)  I never wear them as "fashiony' boots because the buttons on these are flat as a pancake and slicker than all get out.  I didn't really want to wear my high heeled black boots and I love the long, slick look of a true riding boot so breaking the ankles back in was just an excuse, they look better with the outfit.

I really liked the look of the  skirt with a wool coat and riding boots, it has a little bit of the old school riding charm.  Man, chicks were seriously badass riders back them.  Fox hunting while riding side saddle? Terrifying.  I had the opportunity to ride side saddle years ago thanks to an riding instructor who had and old side saddle and whoa, let me tell you, jumping a two foot jump riding side saddle is so much more terror including than jumping a four foot jump bare back.  It takes insane balance, you're riding at a side angle with one leg behind you and the one leg looped over the pommel rather than the security of having both legs firmly wrapped around your horse's barrel.  You become far more aware of how your upper body moves, just a trot is a little nerve wracking.  However scary it was though I'd love to try it again, I'd become a super horse women after just a year of riding like that, not to mention getting a little braver.  Extra bravery is always a nice thing, I was fearless in my teens but I've gotten more cautious in my twenties now that the ground has started getting a little harder and unforgiving with each fall.  It makes me admire women like Bezzie Madden so much more, to be able to have an incredible career as a horsewomen and equestrian, jump those 6 foot jumps and to still have the nerve to do it.

7 comments:

  1. The composition of all these photos is really strong! Was it freezing when you took these pictures? It's been so cold! Happy to see the dog in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can't imagine riding side saddle and doing all that--crazy! Anyways, love this blazer and the purse is super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, side saddle would be terrifying! Definitely brave and determined woman to go through that.
    Anyway, love this equestrian style you're rocking :) And the fact that you're knee deep in snow and wearing a maxi dress!

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovin' the blazer and also lovin' the love you're giving to vintage equestriennes! Ladies of the past always get shafted when it comes to athletic acknowledgement, so YES to that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just going to point out what came to my mind first :)
    1. I love seeing your little doggie. he's adorable! and makes those photos so much more special.
    2. you look like a character from an old classic movie or something. really really cool and edgy!
    3. I'm in love with the combo of those dark black booties and snow white skirt. and that bag is awesome too, of course.
    anyway, I hope you're doing great and your Christmas will be beautiful :)

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  6. This skirt is just so pretty. I love it with that awesome hat and your classic blazer and turtleneck. You look girly and cozy with a slight menswear edge. So pretty, as always!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)