Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Giving Back

It's easy to get caught up in the consumer side of Christmas.  It happens to me, it happens to everyone but it's also a time of year when so many people open up their hearts to the needs of others.

Goodwill is mostly know as a Thrift store but they have a far larger impact upon the community than just another place to find a good deal or shop on a budget.  Your donations to their stores help fund many programs such as their Job Training programs where they help mentor, prepare and connect people to jobs and job training resources.  This video features Candice's success story through the job training program, she went from sleeping in her car to becoming a nurse assistant which is such a huge achievement.  Goodwill provides mentoring and job training and resources to immigrants, veterans, the disabled and many others who just need a leg up.


Goodwill also provides youth mentoring, financial education and help provide jobs to numerous people in need throughout our communities.  They're asking everyone this holiday season to take a moment, give thanks and donate to one of your local Goodwill centers. You can donate used clothes, furniture, and electronic or home items.  By doing this you help Goodwill continue and fund their many programs.  You can locate your local Goodwill store by searching your town on their webpage and donate .  82 percent of the revenue generated goes to their employment and job training programs so you donations can help make a huge difference in your community.   So take a moment this holiday season and give back.

We don't have a Goodwill in Fairbanks so I usually donate coats to Big Brothers, Big Sisters who strive to make sure no kids in town go through our harsh winters without warm gear. (Value Village in Fairbanks is a drop off point for coats and cold weather gear for Big Brothers, Big Sisters.) For Fairbanks and North Pole residents, there's also The Santa's Clearing House which makes sure no kids go without a Christmas.   I feel really lucky for everything I have this year, a job, a roof over my head, heat and the ability to give my kids a fun Christmas and if I have a little left over, I want to pass if forward, as the saying goes, "There but for the grace of God I go."    Everyone deserves to be safe, warm and full and while Christmas is usually when the less fortunate among us come to mind, any season is a good time to help.


(This post is not sponsored.  Goodwill asked if I would write a note and I believe very much in giving back to your community if you have the opportunity to do so.   I admire both Goodwill and The Salvation Army for the amazing, selfless acts of kindness and help they provide within the community.)

2 comments:

  1. Donating is great! I had to stay in the women's shelter once and I didn't have many clothes. Inside the shelter they had a room full of donated things, everything from books to clothes to toys for kids. I found a few really good books in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to all of this. Except a quick note--Salvation Army is kind of evil: http://www.bilerico.com/2011/11/why_you_shouldnt_donate_to_the_salvation_army_bell.php.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)