Sunday, December 22, 2013

Don't Fear The Stillness







American Eagle Outfitters Scarf and Bag
Jones Jeans Coat (thrifted)
Blouse c/o H&M
Pacsun Skirt
Leather Studded Boots (thrifted)

Well, I guess I wear this coat often enough, it's been in pretty constant rotation since I thrifted it.  I do like having a longer coat that's more of a menswear look but still fitted enough in the shoulders and arms that I don't look like I'm playing dress up in some dude's closet.  It's also fun to try some new things with proportion, I've always really liked the look of a long, lean coat over a maxi dress and while that look usually works better on super tall people (i.e. - not a shrimp like me) I think it worked better than the last time I tried a look like this.

Winter vacation just started for Gunnar so we've been doing fun little things like making donuts and Christmas decorations for the house.  Let me just say, homemade donuts are awesome.  The batter is really simple,
1 1/2 flour
1 1/2 teaspoon of baking power(not baking soda, those two are not interchangeable!  If you, you'll end up with a cake even the dog won't eat, as I found out one day when I had little baking supplies.)
1/2 cup sugar(I used half and half brown and white sugar but the recipe does call for white only, I just like the taste and texture drown sugar adds)
9 teaspoons melted butter
3/4 cup milk
1 egg

Mix the dry ingredients then mix in the wet ingredients.  You can add whatever spices and extras you want from here, this is just the basic recipe.  We added a little bit of canned apples, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and ginger and the donuts came out really delicious. (We did use a donuts maker so I don't know if this would work  frying them, I'm going to try a batch next time in the fryer just to see if it does work.)

I don't ever post recipes even though I cook pretty much everything from scratch, I'm not a food blogger and while I love food and cooking/baking, it's not something that'll be a regular part of the blog.  I have enough of an outlet in real life with cooking that it's not something I want to talk about all the time on the blog but it was fun to make donuts.  It seems like a dangerous thing to know how to make, sorta like cheesecake.

7 comments:

  1. !!! donuts have always intimidated me, but this recipe sounds so simple and friendly that I might try it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the donut recipe! I've wanted to make them but have always been intimidated by the bad for you factor!
    I love the way you play with mixing different textures and patterns together in this outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty, cozy bohemian look! Beautiful proportions here - you look long, lean and statuesque, particularly in the last photo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, I am bookmarking this! Donut recipe??? HELL YESS!!!!
    Aha, sorry, sugar makes me excited ^_^
    Love the maxi skirt and your cozy scarf-that-should-be-made-into-a-sweater!

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been admiring shorter jackets recently but I own a ton of longer blazers. I think I may have to find mine and start wearing them again after seeing how great yours looks. I really love your pretty blouse here too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)