Tuesday, November 19, 2013

It's A Dangerous Winter Wonderland







Vintage Leather Trench (thrifted by my Grandma)
American Rag Vest (thrifted)
Lucky Brand Cardigan (thrifted)
American Eagle Outfitters Top
rag & bone Jodpours (ebay)
Fergie Boots
Silk Scarf (thrifted)

The storm last week really did quite a number on the Interior.  Unlike Anchorage and delightful Healy, Fairbanks and North Pole tend to not get much by way of wind and while our storm might have been small compared to what you get along the coast, it took out most of our power infrastructure.  Over 15,000 people lost power and as of this morning there's still people with no power and the temps are heading into -25 below zero and colder today.  We were lucky that the area we live on has stubby little spruce trees and we didn't feel that much pain as a result, our power only went out for a while and since we have a wood stove we didn't really have to worry. (Most useful thing ever, the wood stove.  It will melt snow, cook, light and heat your house.)  There are quite a few people who have on electric based furnaces and heating devices so it's been a rough week for the Interior.  

I attempted to go to work yesterday, I usually drive the little car because Ev takes the kids to school in the "safe" car. (The Expedition with four wheel drive and it's big enough people can't bully you on the road.)   So I'm driving the Crown Vic which is a great car most of the time, expect on hills in the winter.

There's a lot of hills on my way to work.

I made it most of the way until the last mile.  I have to turn onto the main road which is half way up a very steep, very slick hill.  I made it maybe 30 feet before my car lost traction and started sliding back.  This might not have been so bad expect there was a semi truck coming down the hill towards me and a semi coming up the hill behind me.   It was a bit of a holy shit moment as I tried to slid the Vic backwards in a controlled turn so I could miss the semi coming down and get out of the way before the semi coming up could turn me into a sandwich.    I ended up making it (as you night guess from me writing a post) but it was pretty scary to look back and see how bad it could have been.  I am a little proud of the slick maneuver and ya know, not dying in a fiery crash, but it left me pretty shaky.   Woooo, winter driving.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that sounds so scary! I'm glad you're okay. I'm thankful that we don't have to deal with that kinda stuff in California :3

    Re: outfit: your long coat is amazing. Overall you remind me of a modernized Jane Austen character! To be clear, that's a compliment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word Katie, that is terrifying! I'm so glad you're alright and you were able to escape that, but that sounds way too close. Semis scare me as it is!
    Sounds like you've got good driving skills.
    Aha, anyway, loooove your layers here! The vest blends into that cardigan perfectly, I thought it was a jacket.

    Enter to win a $50 or $30 coupon to Oasap!
    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate winter driving! I was in a car accident a year ago during first snow when the roads were extra slick. I used to not mind it, but now I can't stop clutching the side of the car door when I am in someone else's car. It just feels like a ticking time bomb to me after being so many winter accidents. I am really glad that you are okay, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah that scary drive sounds awful. I would have been freaking out. I've lived in Georgia all my driving life so I'm sometimes worried I won't pick up winter driving very quickly when/if I live somewhere else. Then I'm like, nah - I was born in Illinois so winter driving is in my blood. I hope. haha

    Annnyway. Great layering here! I love how your vest looks with that long coat. The vest and cozy cardigan almost look like they're a mixed media jacket paired together like this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)