Thursday, November 7, 2013

Down It Falls







Old Navy Parka
Fred Meyer Scarf
Wool Sweater (thrifted)
American Eagle Outfitters Leather Belt
Sanctuary Pants (thrifted)
Dublin Leather Riding Boots (gift)
Leather Bag (thrifted)

Now that winter's here, it would be great if we got a foot of snow before the cold.   That snow really insulates and makes a huge difference heating wise.  I saw the funniest cartoon in the paper the other day, it was about a dad getting mad over a heating bill for $200.  $200.   I think most people would lose their minds out of joy if they got a heating bill for $200, our usual bill for heating was about $700 and during the cold spell last year out friends paid $1500 a month to heat their house so yeah, $200 would be awesome.  Actually, $200 for electricity would be cool, our bill was $285 this past month and we haven't even started plugging in the cars yet.  The huge down side to Fairbanks, some of the most expensive heating and electric rates in the whole US.   We use mostly firewood to heat our house but we have a furnace as well, so far we haven't had to turn it on yet.  I'm hoping to save fuel until we get to the lovely -50 below.

I'm sorry, I guess I'm just going to talk an awful lot about fuel and electricity for this being a style blog.   It's that time of year though, we still need to get at least another cord of wood to mke it through the winter although I'd really like to get two more.  I suppose it depends on how cold it get these next few weeks.


5 comments:

  1. It's so pretty and snowy! You look like a little snow bunny in your adorable pink jeans! Your sweater is such a perfect, neutral winter piece too. I just love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking about electricity bills and heat isn't a bother at all! I can totally relate having lived in Fairbanks before. The winters there can be a real bitch.
    Your pants are adorable! I never wear pink because I associate it with girliness, but I am a girl, so what is the problem? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like hearing about the down-to-earth concerns of an Alaskan--since I'm from California, it's totally foreign to me! About the outfit: CANDY PASTELS AND A FLORAL SCARF, yesss. Plus the falling snow is super picturesque.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful pics, nice place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This set is so beautiful! One of my favorites for sure :) Interesting to hear about Alaskan life, too!

    <3 Megan
    http://kiddotv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)