Sunday, October 20, 2013

History Repeats Itself






Hat and Boots c/o H&M
Lucky Brand Cardigan (thrifted)
Silk Scarf(thrifted)
Joie 'Animal Print' Silk Blouse (ebay)
rag&bone Leather Pants (ebay)
Leather Clutch (thrifted)

So I might have gotten some new pants.   They're freaking awesome.  Granted, I had a pair of flared, fire engine red leather pants that I wore all through college with my Colombia leather jacket and Doc Martens mary janes and I thought I was the coolest thing ever so you know, I'm predisposed towards red leather pants.  

One thing that's stayed one my mind the past six months has been finding a pair of leather pants.  I know they're sort of the fad-ish thing at the moment but I really love leather pants and since they stayed on my mind that much, I decided to start researching what pairs were out right now and prices.  And yikes, those are spendy.  When I see something I really like I usually hit ebay up first to see if anyone's selling there and even on ebay this time around, leather pants were going for a lot.  I thought about settling for G-Star's leather pants because the cut was nice and they retailed for $200 which is a lot but not too bad if I saved up.  So I started putting money aside from each paycheck for my rag&bone booties and a little for leather pants with $10-$15 each week if I saw a top of shoes I liked at Value Village. (If I didn't thift that wee I just put that money into the fund.)  It was an easy way to save for a special item and having just a tiny bit of spending money helped it not feel repressive.  It did take me a little longer to save but it worked for me.

Anyways, I kept checking ebay and I started noticing rag&bone's leather pants had taken a huge dip in resale, going down for $500-$600 to averaging out about $200 in auctions.  I'd saved up for the G-Star pants already so I took that money and bought a pair of pants that I really loved with just a little left over to get the jodpurs as well. (Those were freaky cheap.  Yay ebay!)    I liked the rag&bone version because they're lambskin over cotton lining and while there's a little bit of stretch, they don't bag out and keep their shape nicely, The leather also has more of a texture to it that the "wet" look for some of the other leather pants out right now and that fits more with my style.

Right now I'm really happy about where my closet is and although there's always things out there that I'd like, I can't really think of anything that makes me heart beat fast or that I feel like I really, really want.  I think I'm pretty good for shopping for the rest of the year, although I'm still looking for a good replacement for my flat tall boots that are falling apart. (I have something very specific that I want though so I'm not going to make the mistake I've made in the past and settle.  Wait it on out!)

6 comments:

  1. I admire your restraint and ability to save. I also think it's smart that you go for quality! Love the print on the shirt, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those photographs are adorable! You are such a fantastic girl!
    Wish you a blessed day ahead!

    www.svetusvet.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The prints of that scarf, top and bag mix together so beautifully - as usual, I'm in awe of your pattern mixing prowess. :) Love the colors of this outfit as well - they play up your hair and complexion beautifully.
    I like your approach to saving up for a special item - it makes delayed gratification so much more doable when you have a little spending money for something that catches your eye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pants look amazing! I love the atmosphere in these photos. You have great scenery to work with! I've been putting off buying winter boots for a while but the snow isn't too far off now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. DEM PANTS!!!!! *_*
    ERMYYSSSGGGGGHSHDFASLJDHFASLKVNADFG!
    I just wannt rip them off and run away waving them in the air like a flag. And never return them. Because they'd be glued to my legs instead.
    Okay, that was the weirdest thing I've ever typed on here, I swear, but it was the sight of those leather pants that made me type it.
    Ahem.
    Anyway, you get the point. I FREAKING LOVE THEM

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)