Monday, October 14, 2013

Fairy Tales Lie







Spike Headband
Cashmere Cardigan (thrifted)
Leather Belt (thrifted)
Dress c/o H&M
Seychelles Boots
Silver Pendant (thrifted)

We're in the middle of a bit of a warm spell, it's been in the forties during the day and only dropping down to twenty degrees at night.  Ahh, if only we could have winter of nothing but this.    We've been cutting and hauling firewood non stop these past few weeks to get our stock pile up, the weather was so hot and the fire danger was so high this summer that cutting with chainsaws was banned.  We're a bit behind and I think that's making me worry, we have a furnace but with how much heating fuel costs and with how cold it gets, we need a secondary heat source, i.e. the wood stove, to keep costs manageable.  It's pretty easy to spend $800 a month just on heating in the dead of winter and then to have a $400 electric bill piled on top of that with more fuel being used for the cars, winter just gets really expensive.  I sort of wish Christmas was in July when bills are at a low but I've been slowly picking up presents for people all year to prevent the "sticker shock."  I'm planning on making quite a few presents as well and really only spending money on the kiddos.

Heh, it's be a great Christmas present if we got an Oregon winter, nice and warm with lots of snow to insulate the pipes and the house, keeping everything warm!  I just hope we don't have a repeat of last year where it went right to -40 below with only inches of snow on the ground.  Lots of broken pipes last year.


6 comments:

  1. oh my my I am so in love with these photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh joy, Christmas presents... that's always such a headache for me because you just don't know what's the best thing to buy and people always say they don't know what they want. I should actually start thinking about it soon to make my own life easier afterwards. but anyway, Katie, those photos are AMAZING. just so stunning and creative. the first one is my favourite because it actually reminds me of a fairytale (like your post title says). well and red looks super fabulous with white. such a fierce effect! wonderful job, dear!

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures here really do have that fairy tale feel to them. :)
    Ugh yeah, the dead of winter in Fairbanks is never fun financially. Back when I lived there I remember we ran out of fuel for heat for a few weeks and we had to rely on a propane heater turned on every hour for a few minutes to quickly heat the place. That and lots of blankets. My daughter was wrapped up in five blankets and I kept her close to me the whole time. (Back when she was just a tiny bitty baby)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your winter sounds pretty difficult to manage. I hope you get all the stuff that you need for it. A couple of years ago we had a bad winter and the pipes burst and we didn't have water for a little while. It wasn't so bad though because we'd had warnings so we had a lot stock piled. But the reason Christmas is in the winter is to give us something to look forward to when everything else is dark and cold. At least there's a bright point in there. I know what you mean about it being the most expensive time of the year, have to start saving well in advance. And these photos are beautiful! How did you do them? I love the way you look like you are glowing in the first one. Like an elven warrior woman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even imagine winters in Alaska! The heating bills sound outrageous!

    But anyway, you look so pretty here. I love the way your white dress looks with the spiked headband. Such a great mix of girly and edgy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eep, I better start thinking about Christmas presents! I always leave them 'til the last minute and become a stress ball. And staying warm through an Alaskan winter sounds like quite the job!

    About the outfit, though--you look lovely sweeping around in that white dress! The title makes me think of you as a grumpy fairytale queen, about to cast a wicked spell or something =P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)