Sunday, October 13, 2013

Away From The Sun








Scarf (Fred Meyers)
Jacket (thrifted)
Blouse c/o H&M
Nine West American Vintage Jeans
Dooney and Burke Bag (thrifted)
Vintage Leather Boots (thrifted)

It's really hard to take pictures in the morning light.  It could be I'm just not use to it and I haven't figured out how to work with the light but ugh, these did not come out quite right.  I take pictures usually whenever I can fit time in, most of the time that ends up being in the evening during the summer or I take a few minuets during the middle of the day in the winter. (Have to, there's only like three to four hours of light.)   I've gotten to where I'm pretty fast at taking pictures, I know what sort of light I like, what angles work and most days 15 minutes is plenty of time.  On day when I'm not feeling it you can really tell, it's a head shot, full body, blah.  No interest, just pictures of the outfit.  I really dislike those sort of days because I like to have something of interest in the pictures and it's something I've work hard on this past year but you know, the light doesn't work sometimes or you just don't feel like it.  Move on past.

I think one reason I'm not happy with these pictures or shooting in the morning is because I like to shoot towards the light where in these pictures Im shooting away from the light.  Shooting towards the lights gives everything a soft glow and looks lovely where shooting away from the light can flatten colors.
This is the best example I have of that, the colors are nicer shooting away from the light as you can see in the picture on the right but shadows can be tricky and light colors really wash out. (Sorry, more bad pictures there but they're the best example of this light thingy.)  It can be tricky shooting towards the light, you can't focus your camera on the sun because you'll destroy your lens and you can to angle it correctly to avoid light flooding but if you get it at the right spot, it looks awesome. 

Heh, yeah, I like Three Doors Down.  Any group that creates a song just about "what's that  smell" is alright in my book.  

4 comments:

  1. You have an excellent collection of booties. And the photography briefing was interesting. . . I'm very new to all this photo stuff, so it's interesting/informative to read about your thought process & techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you are such a photographer Katie! I love reading about the photography process you go through with your outfits. I've loved how you've taken outfit posts to a whole new level this past year. You've done a fabulous job :)
    These paisley pants are trippy! I like them <3

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so many outfit photos that have been ruined because I don't have the patience to find the best place for the light. Love this outfit, those jeans are so much more interesting than standard ones xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)