Friday, July 26, 2013

Midnight in Montgomery













































American Eagle Outfitters Jacket
French Connection for Sears Tank
Alexandra Grecco New York Tulle Skirt (ebay)
Madden Girl Studded Heels

These pictures were actually shot at midnight.  The moon had risen and the mist was starting to flow down the river into the  pond and dude, it just looked cool and freaky out. (The atmosphere matched my outfit better than the pictures I'd taken earlier in the day as well.)  I'm really trying to push myself when it comes to the photography and learn how to take an awesome picture without having to mess with the picture on the computer at all. (My pictures are untouched, the way they appear on the blog is the way they're taken with the camera.)  This light was tricky but really fun to play with.  Plus, a full moon and mist on the pond with an abandoned bus?  That's about perfect.

A while ago I decided I really wanted a tulle skirt, I love the way they move and while they're very, very feminine and not really practical(ahem) they just look pretty.  I researched all of the tulle skirts out and this was the one I really feel in love with.  It had seven layers of tulle, was well made and was this grayish blue rather than white. (A little too bridal for me.)  Unfortunately it was also really expensive.  Onward to ebay!  I found one for forty dollars but got outbid right at the last second, something that happens irritatingly too often, and I didn't get it.  A month later I found this one and while it was more than I wanted to pay for a frivolous item in my closet, I'd also been obsessing about it non stop.  I ended up buying it and yes, it's not practical and you should probably only spend more money on items you can wear all the time like great jeans but I love this skirt.  Sometimes,it's worth it to spend more on something that just really makes you smile when you wear it.

I swear, I'm going to make this a practical skirt just by wearing the living daylights out of it.  I did joke a while back about wearing a tutu to the barn, now I'm going to have to follow up on it.  At least Merrylegs will appreciate it, if only because he's trying to eat it.

13 comments:

  1. :OOOO These are so stunning! Hoooow?? I don't even understand how you got them to come out so good and not grainy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are beautiful. I LOVE the moon, the lake, the bus, the skirt...everything! I wish I could figure out how to photograph the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you went out again and took these photos - they're stunning! A tulle skirt is definitely out of my style comfort zone, but they are gorgeous and I'd love to try styling one someday ... you did a great job with yours, the jacket and studded sandals add an element of toughness. These photos look like they belong in a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie I love your creativity. This setting is really perfect for the outfit, particularly the skirt. Hope you are doing well. I miss blogging but I've just been way too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the photo of you leaning against the bus. You have such an eye for photography and an eye for outfits. I really admire that you wear an outfit that makes you smile even if it isn't practical. That skirt with the more rugged jacket is perfect and is something I would be thrilled to wear. But, unlike you, I don't have the balls to just wear it wherever I want!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in awe of these photos, they need a place in a fashion magazine, can't believe how beautiful midnight looks there, it is always so bright on a full moon? The skirt is a sensation, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude, that second shot...man, this entire set is just magical! I am in awe of your ability at taking such fantastic shots by yourself. Taking midnight photos? Talk about dedicated! Haha, its so lovely seeing that mystical moon up in the sky and reflected in the water in the background. Tulle skirt? So worth investing in ;)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  8. These photos are superb!!!!!!!!!!! O_O It's like a short from a Twilight movie, you look like a dark princess. And the skirt is my fav of course ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. These photos have a very mystical, eerie quality to them. The concept reminds me of something you'd see in an editorial spread in a magazine. I think an occasional splurge on a frivolous item is ok, particularly if you've always tried to track it down at a cheaper price. I'm getting a tulle skirt made by a friend's mom to wear under a dress for our engagement photos, to give it a bit of a 'poof' (fingers crossed it works!). Is that something you could do with this one to get more use out of it. I don't know if you read Coco and Vera's blog but she has a tulle skirt that may give you style inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOOOVE those photos, Katie! love love love. yeah, I'm pretty much obsessed about them, haha. gosh and I would also love to capture an outfit in such cool conditions. anyway, when the skirt makes you happy then it had to be the right decision. and well, you completely rock that thing with those studded shoes and dark pieces. and do it! I mean go see Merrylegs while wearing it. and take photos to prove it ;)

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Alaska at midnight=beautiful!! I think it is cool that you were up at that time to take these incredible pictures...and the tulle skirt is perfect. Gosh I don't know what i like more the scenery or your outfit. Wonderful. Now do you take these pictures yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  12. fantastic moonlight photos! katie, i had no idea you didn't computer edit your pics they look super. i DO believe you will wear that skirt, because it makes you happy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)