Thursday, June 20, 2013

Lessons in Murphy's Law





















































American Eagle Outfitters Jacket, Jeggings, Cuff and Flats
Cashmere Sweater (thrifted)
Old Navy Tank
Minnitonka Leather Hat
B. Makowsky Leather Handbag (thrifted)
Icing Whistle Pendant

I have a few "work" cashmere sweaters that I've thrifted for low prices, they're usually not terribly cute or "blog" worthy but they're so warm and comfortable that I've had trouble going back to straight up wool sweaters.   This is one of my work sweaters and I usually wear these jeggings for painting or other stuff (they're actually great as riding breeches) so this whole look is more practical than anything.  I did just destroy these little flats on the fishing trip, the rubber band keeping their shape fell off, the stitching on one side ripped out and they new look rather icky, but oh well.

We went from 90 degree temps in Fairbanks to 34 degrees at night in Chitna so I was happy that I brought so many layers!  I always pack tons of clothes for myself and the kids and everyone makes fun of me for bringing the whole house but man, come night time, it's nice not being the one shivering out there on the rocks.  Lesson - you can never have enough coats because the one time you don't pack them, a blizzard will dump on you and temps will bottom out.    Just like swapping out your spare tire on the car before a long trip and thinking "oh, I don't need another spare!"     The highway down to Chitna is a little bit rougher than the Parks Highway to Anchorage and we popped a tire after too many gravel patches and frost heaves.  Of course, the spare was already in use.

Heh, at least it happened close to Glennallen so Ev rode with dad into town and they were able to find a shop opened that late at night.  Phew, lesson learned again.  Always, always take your spare.


3 comments:

  1. I love your jacket and hat, you look great! I've been hearing on the news about the heat wave in alaska and totally thought of you. I was just thinking this morning, if it was where you live!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can never have enough coats--words of wisdom! I'm literally always cold so yeah, I'm the weirdo lugging around coats and extra cardigans even in warmer weather! But then I get the last laugh when it really does get cold! Anyways, love this hat! And my aunt just bought a necklace just like that at an antique store--it's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your jacket! Coveting, for sure. I really like it with the cashmere. And, yes, bringing a ton of layers is better than freezing. I hate to think what would happen if you had a flat tire and not enough clothes to keep warm!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)