Wednesday, May 15, 2013

More along those lines
































































American Eagle Denim Jacket, Tee Shirt and Necklace
J.Crew skirt (thrifted)
Leather clutch (no label-thrifted)
Franco Leather Sandels
Sears Cuff
Icing ring and Headband

Whoa, I really do wear this jacket a lot.  Um, I guess that means it was a good purchase?  (Actually it was a good one in my book, I got both this and my green embroidered jacket on the 40% off sale and I was able to stack some coupons  so I ended up getting each one for a little under $20.)

I talk a little while back about being more intentional with my purchases and where I buy them from.  I've been trying to research the companies that I normally buy my clothes from too see where they fall on their labor practices and such.   I think I'm going to stop shopping at Old Navy because they don't seem to be big on factory inspections and to me, that's one of the big things.  While I like shopping at local stores and I do try very hard to support our local businesses  it's pretty(extremely) expensive to buy everything from them and while working conditions are questionable by our standards  factory jobs are a pretty big deal. (So not shopping doesn't really help the people, the companies just shut the factories down and go somewhere else.)  At the end of the day, in order to support fair labor practices and safe working conditions, it really is up to each and every company to make sure that their factories are safe and that they spend some money on safety practices.  It's pretty naive to ask companies to take a hit on their profits but you know, when you improve your working places, only good can come from that.

Ugh, that was word vomit.  Let's see if I can say that is a simplier form.

I want to support companies who put some of their money into factory inspections and actually take the time and money to inspect and do repairs.
I will try to shop local and if I don't need anything I DON'T BUY ANYTHING.  I do not "need all of the things!" and I want to not be so compulsive   I've worked really hard on this and I've saved my money to put it towards things I love, like this jacket.  Even though it was originally spendy (at least in my book) I really wanted it and I saved and waited for a sale.
I will try to mostly thrift.  I really, really don't like waste in any aspect and thrifting clothes is a way to keep them out of the landfill.  However, this doesn't not mean I should just throw away my money on ill fitting things.  Same deal as the retail stores, if I don't love it, I don't buy it.

I have been thinking about eco items and I'm not all of the way sold on them.  Organic cotton has some HUGE pitfalls, the biggest being that in order for the cotton to be organic, it can't have any chemicals or pesticides spread on it.  This means sprays for mosquitoes carrying malaria are a no-go around cotton fields and it makes me furious to think that in order to ease my poor ego about being "eco friendly" someone dies.  Some eco things are great though, like trying to cut down on the amount of water needed for creating jeans, we really do not need to waste all of our fresh water on jeans from F21.

So there, my thoughts are still not "together" but it's such a big issue, it's kind of frightening to tackle   I don't want to just throw my hands up and say oh well though, so I'm going to keep working on this and I'll try to type up a post at some point that is a little bit cohesive and easy to read.

Easy to read?  Heh, that's rich...



9 comments:

  1. What? That jacket again? Just kidding. I love it too! I think these are some great photographs too!

    Yeah, as much as I love Old Navy, I've started to notice that...some stuff fits really different! It's weird! Interesting thoughts on eco friendly products though! I feel like a lot of people don't think that entirely through like you do!

    http://findingmyinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, its your denim jacket again! ;) Haha, just teasing. I love it everytime you wear it, and its such a good purchase. You're getting your use out of it, and that's the best thing to have in your closet!
    Also, your take on products and where they come from definitely give me something to think about. As a college student who's barely making it paying for gas and trying to move out, I WISH I could start being more picky on where I get my items...but I don't think that can happen for a while -_- Sigh. But go you! I fully support your thinking and can see what you mean.
    Oh, and thanks for the comments girl, haha, I've missed your input ;) I'm planning on doing digital photography for the wedding, since all I've got is my DSLR. I'm so excited!

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the headband since it's so fun and girly and totally gives some spark to the whole thing. and let me tell you that super awesome bag goes SO incredibly well with your hair! oh and those turquoise embellished accessories are gorgeous too!
    by the way, I have been thinking a lot about reducing my shopping, thrift shopping as well. I'm super picky anyway but I guess I can always work on some things. the good thing is I haven't bought clothes from regular stores for a pretty long time already.. I even haven't visited those stores for weeks already, hehe. so I totally agree that it's very important to know what you're doing and what you're needing. it's our money and our surroundings and we should always keep that in mind.

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wear my denim jacket almost daily. It goes with everything.

    Thank you for the reminder about being more mindful of our purchases. Old Navy is often my go-to and the quality as of late has been terrible. I think that must be a reflection of the conditions in which it is made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, word vomit, that's a good one :D

    Kudos for making this decision and sticking by it dear ^_^ Can't wait to see how it turns out.

    And that flower headband looks amazing on your long silky hair *_* Mesmerizing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wearing my denim jacket like crazy too :) The roses headband is such a sweet touch! I should really be more conscious about where I'm buying my clothes after the tragedy in Bangladesh.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Target Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you that if you stop shopping the companies will just go somewhere even cheaper and less regulated. I don't know what the answer is because the problem seems so complicated. But your goal to shop with intention is a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so weird not to see snow in your pictures! lol. Love your outfit! Perfect Spring look!

    www.kacieskloset.blogspot.com
    www.daisyraeboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. it IS a lot to think about. i didn't know about the mosquito thing. malaria is serious business. now about you looking like a forest nymph fairy of cuteness in your flower wreath. that i think is a very good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)