Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Perks of being a Watermelon




















































French Connection for Sears Faux Leather Jacket
George Cashmere Sweater (thrifted)
Canyon River Blues Sears Jeans
American Eagle Outfitters Leather Belt
Seychelles Amperstand Heels
Michael Kors Leather Handbag (thrifted)
Fred Meyer Floral Scarf
Cameo in Silver, Aquamarine Beaded Necklace

Well, there are no perks to being a watermelon.  I suppose that's a misleading title since watermelons just get eaten or carved or smashed in prop comedy.  Super glamorous life it is not.

It was freakishly bright out today so there's quite a bit of squinting going on but I do just love the colors of this outfit.  I've been so good about not wearing any of my suede heels outside this winter but I really couldn't resist breaking out these beauties.  (And I'm getting sort of sick of just wearing my boots and flats, the toes are starting to feel claustrophobic.)

I really enjoy fine jewelry because of the artistic work and talent it takes and the various methods of creating beautiful, wearable works of art.  Cameos are my favorite type of jewelry, it takes an immense amount of skill and patience to carve a cameo out of a shell (currently the most popular material for cameos) and the artistic beauty of some of them is just astounding.  Although cameos are known for being popular during the Roman Empire, some of the oldest existing cameos date back to to ancient Greece.  Cameos had a huge revival during Victorian times and while they've rarely  carved out of stones such as onyx and agates now, shell cameos are just as beautiful.  You can find plastic cameos today as well but those are usually mass produced and the imaged themselves are shoddy and quality is questionable, if you're looking for a cameo to add to your collection, estate sales and antique stores are the best place to look.  (Sears actually sold some decent ones in their jewelry department a few years ago at really reasonable prices,  so it's worth checking out your local jewelry store.)

I feel in love with cameos thanks to my Grandmother, she has a collection of just stunning cameos that my Grandpa gave to her and I was always fascinated by the "pretty pictures of women" carved into stone as a kid.  I've been lucky enough to find a few cameos that I really love over the years and they're some of my most treasured pieces of jewelry.


18 comments:

  1. oh wow, I totally love the bright combo of your green pants and purple heels. so incredibly cool!
    what I also like is the super classy combo of your jacket and bag. such a fabulous duo! (gosh and I'm still dreaming of a MK bag, I really am..). luckily I had some great luck while thrifting yesterday (not a MK bag luck though) and I managed to find the perfect combo for spring. I didn't try anything on so I was especially lucky when both things matched perfectly. will have to take photos soon!

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Colours together ,look great! The Pictures are amazing the second one and the last one are my Favorites :)

    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, cameos are my thing, just too pretty!
    I love your scarf and colorful jeans and those hot heels, wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi sweety, this outfit completely took me by surprise, a very delightful one! I loved seeing you wearing a brightly shaded jeans, it looks fantastic! The gorgeous heels, scarf and pretty necklace all add to the urban glamour of this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors in this! Those pants are awesome, and your scarf ties everything together :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the brights on you! I am just dying to wear shoes other than boots (like sandals!) but it's still not warm enough yet.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    $50 PayPal Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the watermelon look :) Those green pants are so cute, and what a pretty scarf!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fell like love with Cameos online. I really wish I could get a custom one of myself... or find one that looks like me? Either would work. I love the bright pants here.

    7% Solution​

    ReplyDelete
  9. OooooOoooo, Katie, definitely a new favorite of mine from you!
    This outfit is so bright and fun, but the tough jacket kept it from being over the top. Also, that print scarf is oh-so perfect with the skinnies and shoes...I love it when you can match like that with your closet :D

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cameos are my favorite too. I don't often wear them, but I have several and think they're the best. Love this outfit too; those pants are perfection on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fact that the skirt has the same colors as your pants and your scarf is too fun. Some day I'd love to hear about how you choose your outfits. Do you pick the accessory first and then base the outfit on the colors or do you just have enough fun accessories that anything can match anything?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi honey!! I've just discovered your blog and i like it!!
    This is a great post, i specially like your shoes!!
    Come to my blog;
    http://peaceinmyshoes.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  13. the bright colors suit you. i adore the scarf. katie, you schooled me in cameos. maybe you could show us your grandma's collection?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am very into green lately, so I'm loving those pants. especially with the leather jacket, which does have a fabulous cut.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  15. This outfit is so colorful, I love your bright green jeans with the bow heels. (The heels are seriously so adorable. I don't know if you read KeikoLynn but I think she also has these shoes and you guys both style them so well) Your scarf has such a cool paint splatter effect too, love it! Wow I didn't know that cameos existed as far back as that of Ancient Greece and your grandmother's collection must be so inspiring to look at! Cameos really are so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh and thank you Katie for the book suggestions! I added them to my list :)

      Delete
  16. Watermelon or not, I love all of these colors! And these SHOES. So awesome. I need to get more heels. Well, I need to learn how to walk in them without falling first. And hooray for cameos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This may be a dumb question, but how does one distinguish between a hand-carved cameo and a mass-produced one, beyond the level of detail in the face? I love how this one gets a modern update hanging from a long beaded necklace.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)