Friday, March 29, 2013

Rambles of a Mad Woman



































Old Navy Denim Jacket
F21 Dress
Fred Meyer tights, Chinese Laundry Thigh Socks
R2 Loafers (thrifted)
Coach Handbag (thrifted)
Icings Bracelets
AE Hat

Referencing what I said yesterday about how there's some days where taking photos is a snap and then there's today where it's the opposite    The sun was really bright and I just couldn't get my act together so these pictures are pretty "meh."   Sort of like Russell Crow's singing voice.  

We finally saw Les Miserables and while Hugh Jackman flipping KILLED it, Russell Crow was really a disappointment for me.  I normally adore him in more of a villainous role and I was really looking forward to seeing him in this movie but it just didn't quite work.  He doesn't have the worst singing voice ever but for a movie that was a musical with the actors singing live, it seems like it was a really strange choice to cast him in this.  The entire movie it felt more like he was struggling  with trying to compare to Hugh that he didn't really focus on acting.  (Or maybe he was just stressed out about the singing and that threw him off.)  Either way, Russell Crowe, not so awesome.  Hugh Jackman?  Oh wow, I cried during the church scene and the finale.  He really carried the movie but I was surprised at how powerful Anne Hathaway's performance was, she really earned that Oscar.     Sacha Baron Cohan and Helena Bonham Carter stole the scenes they were in, they really played off each other so well and were quite entertaining and offered a little bit of comedy.  (Well, Eddie Redmayne's trout lips were pretty distracting, I couldn't concentrate or take him too seriously when he'd start to sing.)  

Yeah, this post turning  into a rambling account of weather or not I liked Les Miserables.  Victor Hugo's novel is one of my favorites and I do always enjoy seeing adaptations of it, whether it's theater or on film.   This was a pretty good version with Hugh Jackman just being amazing and powerful in the role, the only real downsides for me was Russell Crowe and Trout Lips.  

It's funny, this week movie version of two of my favorite novels came out and only one of them I felt any emotion towards really.  It's sad because I don't feel like watching the Hobbit again and I don't feel any sort of emotional connection towards it where the book is my Holy Grail of fiction.   Argh, I hate it when people make movies of my favorite books, the results are usually not up to par.  Next thing you know, Michael Bay's going to announce that he's making Ender's Game.  (Doesn't the thought of that just make you scream in horror?  Maybe that's just nerdy me...)

Alright, that's enough of a rambling rant out of me.  I get on these lines of thoughts and I just have to beat them into the dirt.  As you've guessed, I'm an awful person to go see movies with, I just nitpick them to bits.  Unless of course I love the movie and then it can do no wrong.  (I'm look at you Labyrinth! Please, David Bowie fans, agree with me on this.)

Edit: I'm not sure what's going on with the strange spacing.  I've tried fixing it but blogger isn't having any of that today.  So sorry guys!  And Edit again, I am so sorry about the spelling and grammar errors, I really was on a rant when I wrote this and I apologize for how awful some of the writing was.





9 comments:

  1. You are quite the avid movie woman, aren't you? Haha, I still haven't seen Les Mis (OR The Hobbit, although from the sounds of it, maybe I don't want to?) Your rants are the best though, I always feel like I'm listening to (er, reading) a close friend's chatter :)
    I love the classic combo of a denim jacket and pretty day dress! That polka dot one is perfect

    Enter my StyleGodis jewelry giveaway here!
    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am one of the worst people to watch a movie with! The Hobbit is actually pretty decent as long as you don't compare it to the book, I just have unrealistically high expectations when it comes to books I love being adapted into movie format. It was a fun movie to watch, even if Peter Jackson feels the need to constantly hit people over the head with the FORESHADOWING OF THE RING!
      And thanks Linda, I'm terrible about ranting and I always feel silly after reading my rants, but I do love a soapbox. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Katie,
    I haven't seen the movie yet...but I adore Hugh Jackman in every way...he's my dream man! LOL (but we won't tell my husband!). Russell, not so much.
    Katie...how nice that you were able to thrift a Coach! it looks like the Willis bag (the larger version). Its stunning. You look so cute and I love the long socks/leg warmers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, right? He can sing, dance, act and he's not too bad on the eyes. :) I think you will love this movie, it seems like it would be something you would like and he's really fantastic in it.

      Delete
  3. I love your blog!!!
    http://ladybirdcastle.blogspot.ro/
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The print of your dress is one of my absolute favorites for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Les Miserables.. and well, musicals overall are not my cup of tea and I'm not going to see Les Mis. I knew it already when I saw the trailer for the first time. so I'm not going to say anything about that. I'm very picky when it comes to films overall and that's one of the reasons why we can go to the cinema like a couple of times during a whole year.. haha, yeah, I'm extremely picky, to be honest.
    anyway, your polka dot centered outfit looks super cute. I like it how you have belted the dress and how this belt matches the classy leather bag. and once again I have to mention how cool the snake bracelet is.. because it just is!

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  6. your outfit reminds me of a girl in a story book. that means i like it. the trout lips thing is funny. i haven't seen that version of the movie, but an older one. i've also seen a broadway production of it too. i don't know what ender's games is.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)