Monday, March 25, 2013

Alaskaland in the Snow





















































Old Navy Tench (2 years ago)
Banana Republic Silk Dress (thrifted)
Urban Vibe Studded Belt
Fred Meyer Tights
Seychelles Heels
Coach Handbag (thrifted)
Icing Skull Ring

Why is it so hard to find really great skull jewelry?  I feel stupid going into Hot Topic and their skulls stuff always feels just a bit...emo but they're the only ones who proudly parade their assortment of skulls.  It's stupid but I'm fascinated by skulls, this partly comes from an art class where my professor would bring in his expensive collection of animal skulls.  They were so interesting to draw with all of the cracks and breaks and since then I've gain an appreciation for the stark beauty of bones.  Ahah, this makes me sound like a compete freak but bones really are so interesting looking and the way that they all manage to fit together, it's just amazing and beautiful at the same time.  But like I mentioned, it's almost impossible to find any kind of jewelry that captures this.   Aside from this skull ring and my cow skull necklace, I haven't really been able to find anything that is more realistic, less cartoony.  (This ring is pretty cartoony, but I like his smile, he's got nice teeth for a skull!)

Okay, my usual dose of weirdness aside, this is Pioneer Park!  It was originally named Alaska Land and is a really fun park that has museum/convention center, the biggest stern-wheeler boat this side of the Mississippi,  the SS Nanana is up in the dry-dock and you can walk aboard.  There's also the Salmon Bake, a train that runs around the park, airplane displays, an area to rent kayaks and canoes, tons of fun little shops and a really great play area for kids. (Plus mini golf!)  It's only a few blocks away from where we live so we end up going there all of the time during the center, there's always fun events going on like square dancing and live music bands in the square at night.  Sometimes Fairbanks can feel a little lacking in the entertainment area but Pioneer Park usually goes all out trying to keep fun events going, even during the long dark winter.  (It's such a fun place to have picnics during the summer time, it's right along the river and they've got a pond so you can feed the ducks.)  It's really a cool spot and when friends are up visiting, we always try to take them to Pioneer Park.























































I know, it's such a cool spot and it's really awesome having a place like this in Fairbanks.  One thing that was mentioned in the comments on the last post was more Alaska stuff so I'm going to try to start featuring more spots around Fairbanks and Alaska in general.  I feel bad that I sort of take this incredibly beautiful state for granted and sometimes(not really) I forget how crazy most of the residents are.   I'll try to feature some Alaska stories and lore and maybe some stuff about cities and villages up here.  Either way, I'm still working it all out in my head and trying to put some cohesive stuff together but since I was taking pictures here today, I thought I might as well talk about this cool spot a little bit.  All of these pictures are from their website since almost all of my photos around there is on film and not digital.

Thank you so much everyone for all of your great responses to my question in the last post, you can me so many great ideas and I will try my best to come up with some fun stuff.  You all are the best and I just can't say thank you enough, I feel so privileged that you read my silly posts and offer such great conversation and options in return.


13 comments:

  1. Ah, I see the snow has hit you guys too! My house got well over a foot today, and I heard Whittier had 18+ inches! Of course, I'm loving it because I'm on spring break and haven't seen snow for a few months, but I'm sure everyone else is sick of it!

    And your outfit is super cute, but then again, you always dress cute, so it's no surprise there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, Pioneer Park looks like such a great spot to visit! I wish we had something like that in Buhl...or maybe we do and I just don't know it...hehe, time to explore!
    Anyway, I always admire how you wear dresses/skirts so wonderfully throughout your snowy weather. Of course, to you it probably doesn't seem so cold, huh? Haha! I love the print of that dress and your adorable heart tights. Plus, that thrifted Coach bag? I just thrifted something really similar to it! :)

    Enter my StyleGodis jewelry giveaway here!
    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you looked on Etsy for skull jewelry? You can usually find almost every kind of jewelry on there and I love that it's handmade. I'm looking forward to hearing more about Alaska!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Target Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my hometown has practically nothing like that in here but I'm not complaining since I appreciate the fact it's a quiet town and we don't live far from bigger, more exciting ones. btw, you should also talk about that truckers' thing.. the show, you know!
    now, your outfit. I'm in love with the trio of those shoes, the belt and the bag. especially the bag, it's just perfect. and I'm still super curious about your bags' collection! I just can't help myself.
    anyway, that dress looks beautiful too and I have probably already said it but hey, I can keep repeating it, hehe.
    + I'm super glad I discovered your blog a while ago! definitely one of my favourites, that's for sure!

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow look at that snow... We have 38 degrees right now and super windy. My husband don't want to go outside and take some outfit photos. You look fantastic with that dress. Love the pics. Thank you for visiting my blog and for the sweet thoughts.

    xo
    Sam
    http://fabulouspetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Pictures! Classy and beautiful Outfit!

    kisses :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the print of the dress and your styling is as always great! You look like a movie star in these pictures! I look forward to knowing more about Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fun print on your dress and your bag is gorgeous!

    xo,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  9. So.much.snow. Haha and I thought it was bad here! This post makes me want to bust out my navy blue trench (which my pregnant belly prevents me from wearing). Your dress is gorgeous. Great outfit.

    For skull jewellrey check out ASOS. It goes quickly but I've seen some great (no cheesy/emo) stuff on there. You can't hesitate though or else you'll miss out. I learned the hard way...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing the story of your photo backdrop! That place sounds awesome and that's so neat that it's so close to your house. I love when places like that are nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  11. katie, you look totally elegant! i can see the old time western pioneer resemblance in that pioneer park.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coming in late on this one as we were traveling, but Google "Van Gogh Skull Jewelry" as apparently he also had a skull fascination and there's all sorts of jewelry out there with his skull on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)