Saturday, March 30, 2013

Alaska Saturdays

 The biggest feedback I got from you guys was that you wanted to know more about Alaska.  So with that in mind I'll now do a post on Saturdays about Alaska and if there is anything in particular that you'd like to know or have a question about, please feel free to ask!  I sometimes forget how awesome and amazing this state is and I take for granted some of the indescribable things about it.

To start the series off this post is Alaska through my eyes(lens).  One thing I learned looking through my folders was that I need to take my camera with me more often, I always forget it when we go hiking or hunting and it's a shame.  This are all photos that I had on back up but Im going to dig through my films and see if I can scan some stuff in.

































Photo heavy yes, but all of these pictures capture a particular mood.  One thing that is consistent about Alaska is the beautiful scenery, it varies so much from region to region, from soaring mountains to the fjords to the ice fields to the tundra and even in the worst of weather, it's still a beautiful and striking country that just fills me with awe.  The last pictures are from our fishing trip last summer down to Chitna because hey, what's Alaska without some fishing?

As you can see from the above map, very little of Alaska is actually connected by road.  Outside of the road system is hundreds of villages, towns and communities that rely on bush planes, boats or their own ingenuity to get supplies even as basic as lumber and food.  Alaska is over 570,373 square miles and sometime it just astounds me how small of an area is actually settled within the state.  

Alright, that's it for this week, for next week I'm going to try to work on the history of Alaska and some actual info. 




9 comments:

  1. Alaska reminds me of Arizona. We have mountains and caves and horses and long roads with the same scenery. We also have a ton of different environments all in one state. Hope to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved learning new things about Alaska! and let me tell you those mountains are absolutely gorgeous! I love mountains but we don't have any here in Estonia. luckily I have experienced some in Norway, Crete and Czech Republic.. oh and now I miss travelling even more. gosh and how cool it would be to visit Alaska one day and go thrift shopping there, haha, it would be super awesome!
    anyway, in some ways Alaska reminds me of Estonia, I mean all those trees and nature, snow, long winters, stuff like that. so familiar :)

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be a fantastic feature on your blog Katie! Alaska doesn't have enough coverage through blogs haha, it seems like all the main reads are based in California or something. I love the natural and awe-inspiring beauty of your state! Its also amazing how remote it still is in this shrinking world. Love all the photos, and I can't wait to read more next Saturday! :D

    Enter my StyleGodis jewelry giveaway here!
    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO excited about the Alaska post series! These photos are all so beautiful and I seriously just want to hop on a flight and go to Alaska right now. Ahhhh the scenery looks so serene and beautiful. And looks like your kids had a lot of fun on the fishing trip. I've only been fishing once and the only thing I caught was a piece of seaweed hahaaha. Anyway, can't wait to see more about Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha!!!! This is exactly what I wanted!!!! :D
    I have a few questions, actually one question- could you write about the way of life there? That's the part in which I'm most interested in :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh it's just sooooo pretty! i was gonna ask if that was fishing. then i read the bottom where you answered my question. the horse photo is my fave. the little girl in me who had horse posters on her bedroom wall approves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you have some beautiful shots Katie. The quality of the images is so crisp, it makes me want to reach out to my screen to make sure they're not real. I absolutely love the one of your kids running through the forest, and the incredible lighting in the second-last one. That sort of eerie blue is a colour we would get just before a storm.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)