Thursday, January 31, 2013

Velvet and Silk in the Snow






















Jo^n Velvet  Blazer (gift from my aunt)
Joie Silk Shirt (gift from my mom)
Seigel Silk Shirt (thrifted)
Old Navy Scarf
Chinese Luandry Tights
XOXO Shoes via Famous Footwear
Vintage Cameo on Aquamarine Beads, Turquoise and Gold Ring
No label Handbag (thrifted)
Icing Belt

I  got really frustrated taking photos today, I was having the hardest time getting any pictures that weren't completely blurred out and everything looked very flat.  It really didn't help that in the only halfway decent pictures I was making the stupidest derp faces ever.   I felt so angry at myself so taking such a large step back  with the camera and then when I got home, I realized I had the shutter speed set on the lowest possible setting.  Welllll, that explained a little, I'll have to try to redeem myself tomorrow.

I'm trying to shake it up a little with the colors I choose to wear and pair to together.  I feel like I got stuck in a little bit of a style rut this past month and a half and just wore outfits that were mostly in my comfort zone.  So many dresses with patterned and colorful tights!  I need to figure out how to wear jean and pant based outfits that don't feel repetitive or boring so I guess that will be another challenge for this month. 

I thought about doing this outfit as a price challenge but it's not really a fair one since a few of the items are things that were given to me.  Unless I'd found them in a thrift store, there's no way this blazer and silk top would have fit into my normal budget so  I think when I do my weekly price challenges, I'll try to stick to items that I find either in the thrift stores or on clearance.  Gift items are sort of cheating and not really in the spirit of the challenge.

We're trying to finish up the barn this week, one of my brothers has some time off and since he's the really tall brother, he's going to come in handy getting the roof beams up!  (More helpful than short me, that's for sure.)  I'll try to get some pictures of the barn and cute little Merrylegs and Dollar.  They both got their hooves trimmed up last night so they're feeling good and frisky right now!

Whew, I was a little chatty tonight.  



20 comments:

  1. I have such days too. When everything you touch turns into crap, best way is to wait it out, and try again the next day -_-
    Oh but I love the minty outfit, it reminds me of ice cream :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I'm a bit envious of the velvet blazer since I have been looking for one in that color for a long time now! I love those colors together.
    Have fun with your horses....sign. How blessed you are to have horses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, that mint shade is wonderful! so so so cute. and it looks really good next to your purple blazer. I also love the matching belt and bag (my old favourite, hehe). and you're wearing high heels with snow! wow, that's something I'm not doing because I know all the snow will end up inside my shoes and I hate that cold and wet feeling, haha. though it would definitely look nice on photos.. it does, I mean. it definitely does.

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hair looks so pretty next to that mint color - it's a great contrast!

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look like a snow fairy - so pretty in those blues! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That mint skirt is absolutely gorgeous! We're opposites...I'm always wearing pants in the winter and I should probably try to wear skirts/dresses more often :) Happy Friday!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Sephora Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you double wrapped that necklace, and the mint skirt looks fantastic with the oatmeal colored tights. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude, I buy my silk and velvet thrifted or vintage, too! Apart from not being able to afford it retail, what's the fun in wearing stuff that everyone else is wearing now? Love that jacket belted!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    the shop of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  9. The colors in this outfit are stunning! I love the rich velvet jacket paired with the summery skirt. Yet, when they're in the snow they look perfect for winter. Like, fairy ice princess colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing ,love the Colour of your Hair <3
    Beautiful Outfit!

    Happy Weekend ,kisses :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. can't wait for the picture of the barn when it's finished. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE the mint skirt, such a gorgeous color and it looks even prettier with the white snow in the background. LOVE your necklace, it's so pretty! You look so beautiful!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful colour! love the vibrant shade of your skirt and how it stands out. I think that you have found a dress sense that works for you and it does so brilliantly, I don't think at all that its a style rut. beautiful outfit! Good luck with the barn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great colour combination. Looks great on you.

    pjmscloset.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, I definitely understand where you're coming from. I was a total dress/skirt girl before I started college. Probably cuz of my high school's strict dress code...but I've discovered pants can be just as interesting and stylish when you pick flattering pairs that come in fun colors or prints!
    Anyway, love the mint skirt and silk blazer - plus, you have the best tights! :D

    Enter to win an $80 voucher to MsDressy!
    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love your hair, it looks so nice on you. Is it your natural hair color? I am thinking about dying mine to red (I'm naturally a brunette) because I think it might suit me as I am quite pale with green eyes and loads of freckles.. Ummm, not sure yet. Anyway, I love your whole outfit and the pony looks soo cute, I'm in love. Not as cute as mine though, hehe :) What breed is it?

    Love xxx Paula

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just when I thought I'd seen every beautiful colour pairing out there, you bring out this inspiring deep burgundy (I think?) and mint. The different textures really help build on the contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  18. the colour of your skirt is perfect<333
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, this is the prettiest look ever! I love these colors and it looks even more stunning against the snow. I just caught up on some of your past posts I missed out on (ugh, school and work), and you've been killing it lately!

    ReplyDelete
  20. so pretty in your green skirt! did you finish the barn?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)