Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Another Year, Same Red Pants







































Fleet St. Puffer Coat/FS Limited Wool coat/L.L.Bean Snow Pants
American Eagle Outfitters Blazer (thrifted)
American Eagle Outfitters Lace Top and Red Skinny Jeans
Stormy Kromer Cap (website) (Christmas gift)
Dublin Boots Via Dover Saddlery (website word of warning, shipping takes forever through Dover.)
Icing Timeglass Pendant
Rope Bracelet (thrifted)
Brooch (thrifted)
Turquoise and Gold Ring
Mittens made by my little sister as a Christmas gift! (They're adorable and I love them, thank you!)

The warm weather is still hanging around so we took advantage of it today to take the kids sledding and hiking.  Skiers tend to monopolize most of the good trails around Fairbanks so it can be hard trying to find a trail you can actually hike on with out driving way out of town. (Seriously, groomed trails for skiers only?  When I did ski team in high school our idea of a groomed trail was someone maybe taking a few runs on the trail with the snow machine, even our races weren't on groomed trails.  They're so spoiled in Fairbanks.)  We ended up just goofing around on the hill but it was quite a bit of fun.  Sorry about the photo of the dead bugs, they were on the very top of the snow so they must have died just last night before the last rain. I can't believe they were alive this late in the year, I hope that doesn't mean we're going to have a bad mosquito year.

It's been one year now since I started this blog and wow, what a difference a year and different camera makes.  I started blogging last year with this little gem of a photo.


Yeah, yikes.  Since then I've learned about outdoor lighting, (sometimes) shooting a clear picture, tripods and trying really hard not to make horrible faces.  Before starting this blog I was extremely uncomfortable with having my picture taken and felt very nervous in front of a camera. (Seriously, I'd had maybe five pictures taken of me in that many of years.)   This was one of my better outfits at the start, it was rather basic but okay.  Looking back through my posts I really grimace over some of the outfits, there were some truly awful looks!  I'd like to think I've finally gotten a hold on my style and what I enjoy wearing, rather than throwing every single trend on.   I've figured out how to incorporate my more 'practical' items like my Stormy Kromer Cap and my riding boots into my everyday style and it's resulted in a closet that I really enjoy.  I'm also really happy with where my blog is right now, I feel like I finally have a handle on what I'd like it to be and I'm really having fun with it and I've discovered how much I enjoy photography over this past year.  I look forward to improving my skills and learning more about it, it's become something that I love.

Over this past year I've also met some amazing women in the blogging community and and you're all ladies I wish I knew in real life, you guys are way too cool and funny and you make this such a fun hobby!   Thank you all for such an amazing year and for supporting and being so kind even when I really slacked off.  Thank you so much.


18 comments:

  1. wow, that is some seriously deep snow! and i love the red jeans with that blazer, such a great pairing!

    I'm impressed that you went from someone who didn't care to have their photo taken to someone who does it voluntarily on a daily basis!

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on 1 year of blogging!! I love the red pants paired with your jacket!

    xo,
    Angela
    headtotoechic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy 1 yr of blogging katie girl! there you go looking cute in another hat. those boots look so perfect for the snow. i adore the photos of your family, and the gorgeous snowy views. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressed and amazed at how far you've come in one year! :) It was fun to take a peek at your very first post.
    This is such a cute outfit; I love those red pants! And your photos have persuaded me to introduce my new lace top to my colored skinnies and tweed jacket ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the red pants and the blazer is has such a nice print! It even matches your hat. I am always amazed by how you look so stylish even in the cold Alaska weather. And yay sledding, looks like your kids had a lot of fun :) That's so cool how you are wearing red pants as your one year anniversary post, you have gotten so good at taking pictures! And especially in this post, your photos are so clear and crisp :) I had some (okay haha maybe A LOT) of pretty awful outfits too, but it's the learning process that counts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You all look so happy! Love the photos and find it hard to believe you hated having your pictures taken before. I am the same - don't like being photographed at all, so maybe I'll manage to overcome this, too. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, congrats then! and definitely continue your studies and discoveries because you have done such a great job, that's for sure.
    now, your current outfit. those red pants are really cool and I think red looks wonderful when combined with white. I also like your hat which makes such a lovely combo with the similar blazer. and adorable lilac mittens too (the first items I noticed btw)!

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw - congrats on one year of blogging Katie! It's been great getting to "know" you :) Love the red pants, and you guys must have some sick places to sled!!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy blogiversary! Your lace top is so pretty! Glad you guys were able to find a spot for sledding away from all the skiers :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    JCrew Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. happy blogaversary!!!! Glad to have found your blog :) I miss sledding a lot, and I'm living vicariously through you and your kiddos! You're right-- it IS hard to find good sledding places where there aren't people already doing their THANG skiing up there. I usually just went to the huge hill on campus. For some reason, at least when I was there, NO ONE used it for sledding!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    the shop of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy blogversary! I'll be celebrating mine early next week so clearly the best bloggers started blogging in January of last year. Love the pics of you and your kiddos sledding.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You totally stole my idea for celebrating my blogversary by wearing the same thing you wore on day 1! Or maybe I'm just not original :-)

    Anyway, I love the lace top with the red pants. I just bought a similar lace top so I will be pairing it with my red pants shortly. Now, if only I had an awesome plaid blazer...

    Happy one year of blogging! So glad we connected!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go Katie, woot woot go Katie! A year for you woohoo :) I love the shots, they're really cool against the white background of the snow. I know what you mean as far as seeing personal style grow through blogging, it's pretty sweet. You're seriously brave to go skiing, actually I'm just a wimp, who's afraid of heights, but maybe one day I'll be able to do a bunny hill or something. I really thought for a hot second that you had dyed your hair, which is what I think in every other post, lol.

    xoxo,
    Genie


    www.uniqueandchicstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your one year blogging anniversary! My week would not be complete without a few visits to your charming blog, you always have a way of making me smile with your witty words and inspire me with your unique chic style and impressive layering. Also...I just love seeing pictures of the snow, lol. Wishing you many more wonderful years of blogging ahead, it was a pleasure and honour meeting you through the cyberspace, you're an absolute gem...With all that said...aww these pictures of you and your family in the snow are so precious, you will look back on them in 5 years from now and it will bring back the best memories!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning pictures! Really impressive blog, love your style. If you want check mine and we could follow each other:-)
    Kisses
    Aga

    GIVEAWAY with Choies!!!50 WINNERS!!!
    GIVEAWAY with MSDRESSY!!! Win $80 voucher!!!
    www.agasuitcase.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the full year of blogging!! :D
    Haha, oh man, I completely relate to you when I look back at my old posts...I mean, even my blog's name is kinda unrelated to my style today. I still love the occasional trend, but I pretty much just wear what I like instead. Also, I remember that nervousness when the camera faced me...I always preferred staying behind it! But looks like we've both overcome that.
    And yes, as a regular reader, I definitely notice and appreciate the changes on your blog. The pictures are just fantastic!
    Anyway, love that you used the same red pants that you wore in your first outfit post :D Haha, you've come a long ways in blogging ;)

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your one-year blogiversary Katie! You've provided me with a ton of fashion inspiration and the fact you do it from the snowy landscape of outdoor Alaska is even more impressive!It's been an absolute pleasure seeing your style evolve and I always look forward to your new posts. Here's to another stylish year....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)