Thursday, December 6, 2012

Snowcover




















 Wool Coat (At least twelve years old.)
Fred Meyer Hat, scarf and gloves
Black Poppy Blazer (Pacsun)
French Connection Silk Blouse (thrifted)
American Eagle Jeans
Rampage Boots (Fred Meyer)

Alright, it's not the most exciting look ever but that's winter for you.  Not many manufacturers make coats warm enough for winter up here, your basic wool coat or even the puffer coats just won't cut it.  All though I usually only show my basic outfits, I do dress more sensible when I'm outside or running around.   The key to really staying warm in below zero temperatures is layer, layer and layer.  Most of us in the colder parts of Alaska wear long underwear, multiple sweaters and usually a polar fleece under two coats, plus the hats, scarf, gloves and of course, snowpants or overall bibs for toasty legs.   This is what the end result looks like:






































Yeah, you just can't run a style blog with post after post like this.  (This is actually from my very first post, but this is how I look most of the time in the winter.)   I'm sort of a fanatic about making sure I always, always have my winter gear with me, even the best cars break down at some point in the fifty below and colder weather and not having warm gear can be deadly.  (I know from experience,  I still have frostbites scars from this happening years ago, I was stupid and the one day that I didn't pack all of my snow gear was the day I broke down and had to hike in -55 below.)  So even when I'm wearing a dress in the pictures, you can bet my snow pants are waiting for me in the car. (Or on the ground in the snow.)

I will say that L.L Bean makes a killer coat. Until I lost it moving, I'd had mine since sixth grade and it was warm enough to wear in Fairbanks in the middle of winter.   My Fleet St coat is starting to break down, so aside from a new lens for the camera, a coat is all I really want for Christmas.  (Hopefully one from L.L.Bean.  You really can't beat them for quality,  their stuff does last forever.)

Wow, looking back, I think I have to call this more of a weather blog with some outfit pictures thrown in.  I promise guys, I will shut up about the weather.  Eh, that sounds sort of familiar, but I really will try this time.  Unless we get hit by a tornado of fire, I will not say another word.  (But if we do get hit by a fire tornado, I am going to be all about that!  Fair warning.)

13 comments:

  1. The printed top is a fun pop of color under all the layers!

    www.daisyraeboutique.com
    www.kacieskloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these photos they are gorgeous! I also really love the print on your red blouse.
    Carlee
    Almost Endearing

    ReplyDelete
  3. katie, the frosty blue snow makes a pinkish color in the light of these photos that's lovely! :) you can keep that cold weather. i hope you get that new coat, you really do need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and to think i'm whining because it's 48°!
    I don't know how you do it!

    I suppose you do have some lovely snowy fields to take photos in though.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  5. stripes and everything, yes please
    Xo Megan, www.TfDiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving the striped blazer with the printed top! Excellent pattern mixing!

    Your every day going outside outfit looks like what I put on to go sledding or shovel when it snows. Do you get beastly hot in that get-up when you go inside somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That picture of you all bundled up made me giggle. You are amazing for taking pictures with out all of those layers on! I will stop complaining about lows in the 20s now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting Post! Love the Pictures ,the have a romantic atmosphere :)

    kisses :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love how vibrant that top is, along with your striped blazer, it makes for some killer contrast. I personally cannot stop talking about the weather simply because it does effect what I wear on a daily basis as well as, I feel awkward sometimes in my greetings, lol. I have no idea why, but the weather is automatically safe conversation territory right? What kind of lens do you want?

    xoxo,
    Genie


    www.uniqueandchicstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katie...I really love these photos; the light reflecting on the snow is so pretty; it looks like a pale wash of color.
    You can talk about the cold all you want....but don't send it my way....I'm not ready!

    Stay warm, girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, well I'm sure weather talk is almost inescapable considering where you're at! Especially when you're trying to do a fashion blog and have to take photos in it. That's some intense cold! I don't think I could survive...aha, I'm such a California girl at heart. Even winters here in Idaho are too cold for me - I know, I'm such a wimp.

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  12. the backgrounds of your photos are always such amazing ones. especially because I can't honestly remember when I saw some sunlight here in Estonia.
    love that reddish top btw, also your striped blazer. great pattern mixing!

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing warm coat brands! We're in a climate that nowhere near as cold as yours, but quality outerwear is still a MUST! I'm hoping my current coat gets me through a couple more seasons, but I'll definitely look at LL Bean when it needs replacing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)