Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Frozen Over



I fell down and the camera caught me as I was getting back up and dusting myself off.

Now acting nonchalant about the whole thing.






Coat: Fleet St.
Scarf: Icing
Vest: Jack by BB Dakota (thrifted)
Shirt: Gap (thirfted)
Tee shirt: True Religon (thrifted)
Pants: American Eagle Outfitters
Boots: Madden Girl
Handbag: Liz Claiborne Leather (thrifted)
Necklace:  State Fair vendor

I keep having the problem of my breath getting caught on camera thanks to the cold air.  It looks quite goofy but alas, I'm not very good at holding my breath so you're all stuck with photos of me looking like a three packs a day smoker. (And with this cold I sound like one as well!  Paging Dr. Girlfriend please.)

I've been wearing my furry vest non-stop this winter, I feel like I've figured out how to incorporate it into my style as opposed to how I wore it last winter. (I really didn't know what to wear it with!  It was a little bit sad and pitiful.)  I do apologize about my gloves being on in every single photo lately, it takes a while for me to get cold everywhere but my fingers, those freeze right away. 


The river's frozen over by now, I've already seen some snow machine tracks on it which is totally insane since there's still open spots on the river.  I'm a pretty big chicken when it comes to walking on rivers, they make me more nervous than the lakes do and I have this huge fear of falling through the ice.  It's a well founded fear however, every year someone falls through the river.  One year two of my little brothers hit a patch of rotten ice on the river and fell through on their snow machines   They were so lucky that it was at one of the really shallow spots and that the temperatures weren't too low, they were a couple miles out from the house and couldn't get the machines out of the water so they had to walk the whole way back.  They got the world's biggest chewing out from our parents, but everyone was just shaking over how scary it could have been.

Well, there my alaskany story for the day.  Sadly, there's no bears in it.  To make up for that, I'll tell you all about the time my dad's friend got his face chewed off by a bear.  The dude's got some pretty wicked scars and a bear's tooth now, he always wins the scar story tell-offs.  

All right, all right, no gross out stories tonight.  Maybe tomorrow.


35 comments:

  1. Get well soon!
    Love your Pictures ,beautiful Outfit as always :)

    kisses :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, so much snow! I love the layering on the outfit. It looks great and very warm
    Follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great photos...I am slightly jealous of the beautiful snow (I miss winter now :) Love your furry and cosy coat, so pretty! What is the temperature like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha - the things we do for our blog pictures! You look very natural in these pics and I love that chunky necklace...

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha wow - it must be SO cold there! And I love your Alaskany stories :) I also love the plaid shirt with the fur vest - so cute!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg this looks really cold but the pics are incredible <3
    Web- und Printproduktion

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great inspirational outfit for me !!


    Love,

    Jen

    Fashion Milkshake Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your hair! You look gorgeous :) I'm now following you

    xx

    jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brr! Looks so cold! But you still look adorable and I love that unique necklace :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Alaska stories are the best. So glad your brothers didn't drown or get hypothermia... brrrr! Love those layers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really want a furry vest for myself. I love yours, it looks great on you and I can totally see why you want to wear it all the time. Um, it is weird that I'm excited to hear about this bear attack!?

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! You seem very cozy for how cold it looks! Hugs from Cali! xx The Golden Girls

    ReplyDelete
  13. hold on, did you just say Dr. Girlfriend? Woman, where were you when I was up there? I could have had ONE FRIEND! Then I wouldn't have had to thrift all by my lonesome.

    Totes amazed by your photo skills, actually. I can't for the life of me work a tripod, and I can't even imagine working it on the snow.
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights
    the shop of worldly delights


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! We must have had some time overlapping up here, I don't know how we didn't run into each other. (It's not that big of a town.) It would be awesome to have gotten to be thrifting buddies.

      I was really intimidated by my tripod at first, but it's ended up be so much easier than i ever thought it would have been. I'm really bossy about photographs, so its nice being able to take my own. (And not irritate the husband.) It's getting a little sad though, I've broken off two of the legs, so it's looking like a beast with all of the duct tape patchwork. :)

      Delete
    2. Duct tape, of course! :) I actually tried using a tripod before, but FAILED miserably. I don't even know where it is now...

      Delete
  14. From the dreamy photography to some truly horrific stories... :) I actually agree with you about walking on rivers. In Russia, in my home town, men go fishing as soon as the river is frozen and sometimes accidents happen there, too.
    The outfit is beautiful, I love the layering effect and the necklace.

    Stay warm!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, I'm a crazy sicko like that, from one thing to the next. The rivers really are nerve wracking, they just don't freeze the same way the lakes and ponds do. I love hoe you relate the stories from Russia, I know parts of it are really similar to Alaska and it's cool to see your perspective! (I always love hearing stories from fellow cold climate dwellers.)

      Delete
  15. Oh my! I am glad your brothers ended up being okay. I saw that show TLC or Discovery (one of those learning networks) special about the Ice Truckers... that's some scary stuff. I would be so nervous as well. AND no reason for you to be sorry about gloves and seeing your breath... it must be flipping cold! keep your gloves on :) they look awesome with your outfit! This vest is adorable. Okay. Gonna go! you always get the longest replies out of me! :)

    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Trucker's show freaks me out! We knew a few of the guys that did the Haul Road version of the series and they have some really horrifying stories. Scary stuff!
      Hah, I always want to talk forever as well, you make me really chatty!

      Delete
  16. you look lovely :D

    X Jenny
    Rocknrollerr.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. The breath mist just makes you look even more ethereal :-)

    And let's hear the bear-face-chewing story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ethereal. :) I'm pretty far from that, but I'll take it! (Nothing like a nice little ego boast, how sweet of you!)

      Delete
  18. Gorgeous fur vest and necklace!

    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  19. you look fabulous for it CLEARLY being so cold!!! crazy!! and that story is insane.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your necklace is gosh darn AMAZING! I love it so much!

    www.daisyraeboutique.com
    www.kacieskloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. great outfit!!! i follow you now ;)
    i would love to follow me back because love your blog and style!!
    kisses
    http://blogcashmeremafia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. love the fur vest! i think frozen breath looks cool, you should incorporate it artistically into the shots.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  23. That necklace is amazing! And yay for figuring out how to work that fur vest! :)
    p.s. - I nominated you for a Sunshine Award - check out my blog for details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. i am in love with the snow background

    xx m

    thisishowwerule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. ohmygosh that's your breath and that's crazy indeed! i kind of love that it's in your photos. it's amazing. and that's way too cold but you look so great in all of your layers

    <3 katherine
    of corgis and cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  26. katie, that is one dynamic statement necklace! it goes lovely with your furry vest. :) as for the gloves, they are part of your look, & weather. i expect you to wear them. we don't need you getting frostbite for fashion. oh, and please, please do not step on a frozen lake, or any body of water. ice cracking beneath you would be horrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Layers, earthy hues and textures seem to be your signature, yet you have a real knack for making each outfit unique. There's always so much to see that it keeps the eye roving. I like the closeup of your tee/shirt/vest/necklace.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)