Tuesday, November 6, 2012

And on the flip side







Blazer: Banana Republic (thrifted)
Sweater: Gap (thrifted)
Lace Top: Urban Vibe
Jeans: JBrand (gift)
Boots: Madden Girl (Famous Footwear)
Scarf: Icing
Clutch: Bueno (thrifted)

It's definitely hard to inject personality into work appropriate coloring.  After getting out of high school and coming away from four years of working at a barn full time as a barn manager and riding instructor my first job in "the real world" was working as a office girl for a large local Tourism company.  It was such a awesome company to work for and I really enjoyed it aside from one thing, we had to wear uniforms.  As in, everyone wore the same pair of black slack, the same company sweater, the same boring, ugly shoes.  We weren't even allowed much leeway with our accessories since we were only allowed small post earring and dainty rings.  Pretty boring stuff.    Since then I've worked at a variety of places with a variety of dress codes, from very strict to non existent. (One applicant even came to her interview dressed in dirty sweatpants.  High class stuff here people.)    

I've never been very daring in my work-wear and have pretty much always erred on the side of comfort and appropriateness.   To be honest, I have almost no advice for jazzing up your work outfits aside from playing within the bounds of your dress code.  If your job is office casual, you usually can get away with dark-wash jean (no whiskering!) cute skirts of your preferred style with some fun closed toed shoes or cute little booties.    With stricter office dress codes playing with your jewelry and accessories is your best bet for showing off your personalitly and personal style.

And if you have to wear a uniform, I'm sorry.  (But it does make getting dressed in the morning a no-brainer.)

Wow, I really got off track of what I was originally going to write about.  This was a silly little run down on how I felt like I had to dress up like a grown up and be appropriate because today is a big day for us Americans.    Voting is serious stuff and even if I do really hate this system of Electoral Votes counting for more than the votes of the people, it's a occasion to show your respect.   I suppose my respect doesn't go far enough to tuck my shirt in. 

Bad Katie, bad. 

27 comments:

  1. I love purple on you!! Your collar is so pretty on your top!

    xo,
    Angela
    headtotoechic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this outfit would not be as cute witht he shirt tucked. I love your polished/rustic/natural/feminine casual.
    Yay for voting!
    BTW....as far as uniforms go....I wore one for years as a paramedic. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like having the freedom to pretty much dress how i like in the office -- and i like your sweater layered over the lace, so pretty.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the comment and follow! Cute outfit :)

    Now following back.
    -Kristine
    www.pugglewearsprada.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this color on you, katie! and i think it's definitely work appropriate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the peter pan collar and peek of lace in your top :)

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your boots are gorgeous! I love that it's edgy with a lot of metal hardware. I love them rocker-ish like that. :)


    Abi
    http://thebelatedbloomer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice photos and really cool outfit, you look great, I like your jeans, what a great color and that jacket is so nice, the perfect touch to the outfit also you are really beautiful and your sweeter rocks! Your have a lovely blog by the way and I am a new follower! Hope you will like my blog and follow back!

    Pop Culture&Fashion Magic

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute blog! I’ll follow you!
    I have a fashion blog too, I hope u'll be one of my followers:-)
    thanks:-)
    VERONICA
    http://www.givemefashionblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post !

    Great look of the day:)

    Love,

    Janice
    the-fashion-milkshake.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your layering here - that necklace is gorgeous!

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving that purple sweater - so cute! And sometimes I think it would be so much easier to wear a uniform...but definitely not as fun :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this petar pan colar detail and your necklace and sweater because purple is my favorite color for fall.And ofcourse snow in all your photos is great for taking photos :*

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the collar, it is sooo cute! The purple color is such a fun way to jazz up a work outfit. I'm lucky in that there's no dress code at my office...really anything goes!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello !! I am your newest follower /

    Appreciate if U can FOLLOW me back :)

    Very pretty and classy, love the look :)
    I follow you now ! Wanna be your friend!
    Follow me back on facebook ,twitter,and GFC and add me as a friend in GFC
    love you dear :)

    Marcchanelette.blogspot.com
    MarcBelle Chanelene

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your Outfit ,the Sweater have a great Colour!

    kisses :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The colors and textures in this outfit are great! Definitely something I would wear to work on a Friday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful look! As for work-wear - I like it, but I hate uniforms, so I work for myself and choose what to wear. :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Blah! I would hate to have to wear a uniform. I had to once in my working career and it was when I was scooping ice cream (my first Job in HS) other that that I have always worked at Gap and office Jobs/Intern ships. Its hard for me to mix in my personal style in the office! Anyway I love this outfit you are giving me inspiration on layering lace!!

    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your style, dear! Cute photos!

    xxx

    Tatiana

    http://www.bonnie23blog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. just discovered your blog! love your COLLAR ON THE SWEATER!! and amazing location!! *.* If you want we can follow each other on GFC, let me know!
    CHECK OUT new post on my BLOG--->Burgundy & Khaki<---And let me know if you like my outfit!!! <3 love, Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ugn uniforms. What's worse for me is a dress code that doensn't mesh with my own aesthetic. Oddly enough, when i was a kid, i wore uniforms up until high school and didn't mind it one bit. weird.

    love the layering going on in this look! that necklace is really very purdy!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights
    the shop of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your sweater and necklace!

    Kisses, Lucy:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. good katie, good, showing off the lace of the blouse. i like the peter pan collar & necklace too. that purple is a lovely color on you as well. uniforms bite, & i'm not a fan of the electoral college neither.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a great business casual outfit. You look so pretty. Love the collar. And I definitely think the shirt should remain untucked! :)

    Side note: I don't even know how I missed so many of your posts, sorry for being a bad blog friend!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how unexpected and edgy a black Peter Pan collar is. Looks great contrasted with a spiky necklace, delicate lace and Easter-coloured sweater.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)