Saturday, November 24, 2012

A mild Thanksgiving.









Fuax Leather Jacket: Old Navy
Plaid shirt: Gap (thrifted)
Sweater: Gap (thrifted)
Dress: F21 (thrifted)
Leggings: Fred Meyer
Boots: N.Y.L.A (thrifted)
Scarf: Fred Meyers

So sorry about the graininess of the photos.  Can you believe that I took these at 2 in the afternoon?  The sun was already about to set and I just was having a block with figuring out how to get past the low-light. (Practice, practice and more practice.  Eventually I'll get this photography thing figured out.  I will admit that I wasn't too keen on taking time to figure it out today, I'd forgotten my gloves and my fingers were freezing by the time I got the tripod set up.  My hair also hates me, my bangs just won't cooperate this past couple days and I end up with funky weird hair like this.  (I know, life changing and so important.)

I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving, my family gets together every year and it was so nice to see everyone in one place again.   I'm lucky that most family lives up here and we're lucky that Evan's family lives in the same state. (It's hard seeing family outside of Alaska, you either have to fly over Canada to the lower 48 or make the long drive, so seeing family outside is usually a once every few years occasion )  We all just ate and then sat around and talked, everyone was pretty wiped out from how busy this year has been, it seems like it's really been non stop so far.  

I know I always talk about the weather but it warranted a little mention, it has been insanely warm!  Last winter at Thanksgiving it was almost -50 below and this year it was above zero!  Everyone in town is pretty blown away how how nice it has been this year, after that super cold winter last year and our chilly summer and fall, we were all sure we were in for a doozy of a winter.  Instead, it's been pretty moderate.  

Allright, that's enough from me, I promise.  No more weather.  Instead, how about this cute little pond?  Even though Fairbanks is the second largest city in Alaska and is considered fairly metropolitan for most of us, it still has huge patches of woods, ponds and rivers throughout town with buildings and  some streets thrown in.  This little pond is right along side the slew and is a great little spot for wildlife, I saw a little river otter along the banks just last month and when the water is open, there's always tons of ducks.   The water is pretty shallow there's a nice little bank so it's a fun spot for the kids to bring their little poles and fish.  Ill have to come back on a day when when the light is better, it's such a pretty spot.

12 comments:

  1. Love the burgundy tights...but aren't you COLD?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! No, it's actually quite nice out, my fingers just always get so cold, even in decent weather. (Bad circulation.) These are really nice, fleece-lined legging so they keep my legs super warm and toasty. :)

      Delete
    2. I thought the same thing when I saw that post but then saw all the layers of clothes too :P and you're definitely good at layering!

      Maiken,
      Maikeni blogi - part of me

      Delete
  2. Blah, -50????? I wouldn't survive in your town even for a day, haha :D
    Great checkered shirt, love the way you paired it with the belt and sweater and skirt, and everything! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have an amazing layering for this cold weather!

    I absolutely adore your blog. Your style is great with wonderful pieces.

    Following u now via Goggle +/ bloglovin/ facebook. Follow me back if you like! ♥
    Say meow to me on:
    Miss Kwong: From Catwalk to Classroom
    Facebook: Miss Kwong From Catwalk to Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you are so positive about the cold weather LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your scarf looks super cozy!

    As for your photos, I've found that taking pictures when the sun is setting is rough. You have to make sure you're facing the sun and don't have it at your back in any way. But, of course, that always means you can use the pretty background in the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hold on...the sun sets at 2? Omygosh, I want to live in Alaska! Why don't cool weather things happen here at the bottom of the African continent? I actually like hearing your weather reports because its so unreal to me! I like how you paired checks and florals together in one look, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. katie, i would love to see more photos of alaska, since i doubt i'll ever go there. how nice for you to be so near to family! i think the sun setting at 2 would depress me a bit. hooray for cranberry leggings, purple blouses and floral pattern mixing with checkers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel a little strange posting photos that aren't outfit photos so it's lovely to hear that other people do enjoy them! Thank you for the feedback on that! :) The lack of sunlight takes a long time to get use to, I've live here all of my life so it's fairly normal to me but it does really get to people.

      Delete
  8. oooh you look so pretty
    Xo Megan, www.TfDiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely color scheme and that Thanksgiving sounds just right. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)