Thursday, October 4, 2012

Well at least it's not a NAVY blazer









I'd been staking out this guy for 15 minutes before I managed to get this fast photo.  I noticed him when I first got to river but I wasn't fast enough with the camera to snap a picture before he caught sight of me and disappeared below the water.

Blazer: J.Crew (thrifted)
Sweater: George Cashmere (thrifted)
Scarf: Fred Meyer/Kroger
Jeans: Paige (thrifted)
Unseen Shoes: Sears
Handbag: Liz Claiborne Leather

This is not a particularly thrilling outfit, but a nice solid one for everyday running about.  And look, no navy blazer! (Well, it is a blazer....)   A cashmere sweater, jeans and a blazer is as classic as it comes but next time Ill wear higher shoes.  Maybe my leopard print booties, that would be cute!

This past summer I really made an effort to only thrift nice, quality items.   If I didn't find something that was of decent quality  I didn't buy it.  So I ended up not buying a huge amount of stuff this summer, but all of the items that I did purchase have been items that I really love and are things that I would normally never be able to afford, like these Paige jeans.  $200 is way out of my price range for jeans but thanks to the second-hand shops, I've been able to try on different, upper scale brands and while I've learned that Citizens of Humanity jeans never fit my body type, Joe's and Paige jeans are fabulous for those of us with large behinds. (It's a nice e way of saying I've got a big butt.)   By being patience and waiting for the items that I love to come along, I've gotten a few pairs of nice jeans this summer.

This is really similar to how it can be for buying cars up here.  We sold our jeep and we've been looking this summer for a second, reliable car, but used cars go for insane prices up here.  Everything that runs decent (decent, not well.) has been $4,000 and up with the really good cars going for 10k and up.  Yikes....

But we got so lucky this morning!  I checked craigslist out of habit and we noticed a Crown Vic that had just been posted.  The price was good and after checking it out, we walked away with it.  Its an older police car that has had excellent care and the miles are low.  Evan, my dad and my brother looked it over and they were all really pleased with how good of shape it was in.  So yay, we now have two dependable cars for winter time and it feels like a huge weight has been lifted off of our shoulders.  With the extreme cold and a really unreliable public transport system, good cars are essential up here and there is nothing worse than breaking down in -50 below.  

Anyways,  getting back on topic, I'm linking up to Coffee and Cardigans's thrifty Thursdays. (You should go check her out, love this lady's style.)

7 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed that you've thrifted such higher end items! That blazer is such a classic piece that you'll be able to wear forever. Awesome score on the car. Craigslist is the best! Just got my leather couch off there recently :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Chicnova Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blazer. I been looking to thrift one for awhile and I finally just caved and bought one last night from gap!

    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blazer, too! You are quite the deal finder. I keep thinking I need to check out thrift stores for blazers but I think I'd have to devote an entire day to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely envious of your blazer collection, lady! This gray one is darling and incredibly versatile, I am sure. I love it with that colorful scarf and the classic denim. Thank you for the sweet shout-out and for linking up for Thrifter Thursday!

    Callie
    www.coffeeandcardigans.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing to pay a visit this website and reading the views of all colleagues about this piece of writing, while I am also zealous of getting familiarity.
    my site - third

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The words in your post seem to be running off the screen in Safari.
    I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I figured I'd post to let you know.
    The layout look great though! Hope you get the problem resolved
    soon. Many thanks
    my web page: single

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, yup this post is in fact fastidious and I have learned lot of things from it regarding blogging.
    thanks.
    Here is my web page - best weight loss diet

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)