Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Goodbye in her eyes







Brown Blazer: J.Crew (thrifted)
Striped Blazer: Pacsun
Shirt: Old Navy
Pants: American Eagle Outfitters
Boots: F by Fergie
Scarf: Icing
Hat: American Eagle Outfitters

Eh, Zac Brown Band can usually make anything better.

We left Friday night for  Yetta's service.  Most of Dad's side of the family made it up to  Wasilla and while it was nice to see our relatives, it was under pretty heartbreaking conditions.   Yetta was a accomplished violinist and had a gorgeous voice, right after she learned her cancer was terminal she went into the studio to record a few of her personal songs, a goodbye of sorts.  One of her songs was played during the service and it was both so touching and so sad to hear her voice.   

I keep trying to type this post out and I keep erasing it.  I just really don't have the skills to put to words how  cool of a girl Yetta was, or how much she's going to be missed or the massive impact she had on some many people's lives.  Most of the time I just talk about superficial stuff on the blog,  I don't really like putting terribly personal stuff out there about myself or my family, it doesn't feel very appropriate.  However, it just feels incredibly selfish not to acknowledged Yetta, I just wish I could do it better.   

I don't know.  I'm a bit out of sorts and I'm not making mush sense here.  I do apologize about that and tomorrow I'll be back to the regular blog.  Thanks for baring with me on this and thank you so much for all of your kindness.  It was so heartwarming to read everyone's sweet notes this morning, it really meant so much.  Thank you.











11 comments:

  1. I love this images of nature and I totally love your outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about Yetta, she sounds like an amazing person...and I think this post was a nice tribute to her. It sounds silly to talk about clothes when you're sad...but you do look really cute in that outfit :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a touching post. I think it's great you are sharing her life on your blog. That's what blogs are for IMO.........to talk about whatever comes to mind in your life.

    I also can't believe you have snow already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, one of the things I love about having my own blog is that its mine...its my place post my stories, thoughts, outfits, dance pictures and whatever I find interesting. I love the supportive blog community and though I would love to have more readers...I won't sacrifice the essence of myself and my life in my posting....just to keep things nicey-nice and have more readers. I don't want to put anyone off...but personal reflection is appreciated by loyal readers...and those are the best ones to have.
    YOU have experienced a huge loss and to not post about it would be to deny the essence of you; your life experiences which make post like this so readable. I think it is a wonderful tribute to Yetta. I'm sure she will be greatly missed by your family. What a tragic loss for all of you. I say, remember her and post as much of her as you want to.

    I really like your outfit today. You have a way with choosing pieces that kind of reflect and compliment the nature that surrounds you. The color of your pants is so perfect with the rest of your neutral outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss, Katie. Thank you for sharing with us feelings that I know are deeply personal and difficult. There are two types of blogs I follow. Blogs where I just scan the pictures, and blogs where I read every word because I love what that person has to say and because they inject so much personality into their writing. You are the later, so never apologize for telling me what's going on in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss, Katie. I think writing this post about Yetta was a great way to remember her.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    1000 Followers Giveaway Extravaganza!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I apologize for your loss Katie, but you have done a great job writing about her and remembering her!! She sounds like she was an amazing person, and awhile it was hard to listen to I am sure, it must have been really special hearing one of her songs!

    Lovely post! You look amazing as well, and I love the photography.

    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss! She sounds like she was an amazing person. I think she would have been very happy with what you wrote about her. :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so hard to put into words how we feel about people, especially when we want to memorialize them and show others just what the world is missing. I can tell, though, from your post that Yetta was a very special person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh katie - i am so sorry for your loss, girl. i know there aren't really words to comfort you in a time like this, but it really seems like her legacy will outlive her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katie, I love how you've layered everything in the top half of your outfit. The colours are complementary but not so similar that they blend together. And I think it's really crafty how the zebra stripes pick up on the striped blazer/cardigan. I think layering is most successful if you can consider texture, print and colour...and you've done this in spades.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)