Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Anatomy of a Winter outfit


Coat: Banana Repbulic (thrifted)
Scarf: Fred Meyer
Blazer: American Eagle Outfitters (thrifted)
Blouse: Bananna Republic
Jeans: Old Navy
Boots: DV by Dolce Vita
Handbag: Thrifted

Winter time means lots of layers.  Until it gets to that miserable, mind numbing cold and you say screw it, I'm wearing the fugly snowpants and parka, you can still wear your cute coats, you just need to layer and layer some more.  (Wool peacoats fall into this section of cute coats.  They're fine down to about zero degrees, but they just don't cut it in the -50 below.)  The biggest challenge to this layering is still being able to walk after you've buttoned the last coat and it helps if you still look sort of cute and not like you've just put every item of clothing in your house on your body.

One thing that I struggle with cute winter outfits is with so many layers, how do you make each section of the layer still look like a outfit and not like you just threw this coat, sweater and scarf on.  Since I'm a dork and I way over-think this stupid stuff, here's my break down of a typical winter outfit for me.




A blazer is always a great extra layer of warmth and you still look put together when you get inside and take off your outer layer.




The final layer of the outfit! (Well, not really the final layer, but this isn't that kind of blog.)  Yes, that was just all kinds of exciting. 

Sorry, I'm pretty useless for making sense.  I'll blame it all on this: Edward and Bella: A Bad Lip Reading.
Even Evan laughed his head off over it and the mention of anything Twilight sends him into elliptic shock.

20 comments:

  1. Love this winter outfit! The red is such a fun pop of color. And I LOVE your blouse with the tie! You look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love red jeans and zour look is verz comfortable but so chic and stylish :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always feeling weird with my hair up. I try to avoid it, except really bad hair days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing all your layers, and love that tweed blazer!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did such a great job with the layers! I am not at all good at it, so I buy a cashmere jumper once every few years and wear it on its own or with a blouse/tee underneath. And, of course, as somebody who was born and lived in Russia for 20+ years I do have a soft spot for shearling. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, a cashmere jumper just sounds amazing! So soft and warm...it'd be better than wearing pajamas! (So agree with agree with you on the shearing, for the colder climates it's just amazing how warm it is.)

      Delete
  6. Oh, wow! You have so much snow there already. The key to winter outfit is definitely layers. I gotta keep warm because I'm such a baby when I'm cold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wooow! So cooold, but so pretty!
    Lovely blouse, and amazing landscape!
    xoxoxo


    www.cmgvb.com
    www.cmgvb.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look so cute! Love that top and all these fall colors together :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect, perfect, perfect! I actually have a post going up next Wednesday about how to layer for different temps and I think I'll be linking to this post as an example of how to do it in real life. You really hit the nail on the head with your layers. You look great and not too bulky at all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you're showing all your layers. Fashion bloggers get cold too! I need to remember to include outerwear on the blog as it gets colder. Love that printed blouse with the plaid blazer and rust colored pants. Great combo:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where ever you are in these pics I am jealous. I have to drive hours to see snow. I love those boots too! If you like... I'm hosting a Happy Halloween $25 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway on the blog. Come visit & enter. Xo Inna

    BAKING IN COUTURE
    www.bakingincouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable! Love the Photos ,great Colours! You look gorgeous :)

    Happy Halloween ,kisses

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! you are making me cold ha-ha. I could not even fathom -50. I mean it gets pretty cold in Boston. BUT no where near -50. What do you do if the power goes out!? Do you guys have like shelters 27/7 in case that happens? Back up Generators galore? Anyway I love when you right about living in Alaska! I love hearing about different cultures, even how different things can be and we live in the same country! I will stop rambling now... ha-ha I love these layers! they look great on you. I love those pants!


    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the cities we have a pretty hard core system of generators and backup generators and in the small towns and out in the boondocks everyone has their own backup generators and wood stoves. (Our electricity use to go off all the time during the winter when we lived along the coast, but that was mostly from avalanches taking out the power-lines.)
      I was just wondering what everyone was doing down there along the coast, having no power when it starts getting cold out is horrible. (Shelters makes a ton of sense, I cant imagine there's enough personal generators for everyone.) I hope that they get all of the power back up soon!

      Delete
  14. So cold! At least you look great :)

    www.daisyraeboutique.com
    www.kacieskloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my gosh 50 below?! So cold! I love all of your layers especially the blazer!

    xo,
    Angela
    headtotoechic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you've layered this outfit! That blazer is definitely my favorite piece- so amazing and can go with so many things! :)
    :)
    Allison
    AND PS, please don't forget to enter my 1500 follower GIVEAWAY here! :)
    A's Fashion Files
    Shop Kawaii Kitsch by A on Etsy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely look, dear!

    xxx

    Tatiana

    http://www.bonnie23blog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, you are way too sweet Erin! I always feel slightly dishonest if I don't show my outerwear since that's not a accurate portrayal, but the outfits get pretty boring if I just show the puffy coat over and over again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)