Thursday, September 20, 2012

Excuses, excuses and a photo dump










Coat: Old Navy
Scarf: Fred Meyer/Kroger
Dress: Forever21
Tights: Fred Meyer/Kroger
Shoes: Madden Girl
Handbag: Coach (church garage sale)

So I just sort of took a long break there.  I had the best intentions of being a good blogger the past week, posting and commenting, oh my!    But between preparing the cars ready for winter, getting the barn cleaned and ready for winter, building a shed and a new barn for Dollar, cleaning hunting gear and all of the various getting-ready-for-hell, er, winter stuff,  I was getting a bit tired.  I'd get the kids to bed, turn on the computer and fall asleep.  Couldn't even make it to the yahoo homepage.

I too these photos right after we got back from Anchorage, but since we got the tail end of the windstorm, I had a really hard time with photos.  The quick changing light and the wind did not help, but I learned a few things.  Thank you as well to everyone who gave me advice on my last post, Keit, thanks for telling me about the shutter speed!  I've been working with it since then it's helped quite a bit. Thanks!

And speaking of Anchorage,lLast weekend Evan and I packed the kids up in the car and made the 700 mile round trip down there to visit his family.  Fairbanks and Anchorage are the two largest towns in Alaska and even though they're 352 miles apart, it's pretty normal for alaskans to make the drive down to spend some time in the big city.  We got there just a day before the second large wind storm was suppose to spring up, needless to say, we didn't hang around too long.  We did have a fantastic time down there, it was fun to see Evan's family again and strange to be back in Anchor-town.   The kids had too much fun, we played for hours in the pool at the hotel and they got to play with their uncles for a while.  (Izzy and Gunnar are lucky kids, all of their uncles and their aunt are teenagers/young adults, so everyone plays with them.)

We did get to stop by the Diamond Mall, a real mall that makes our little Bently-hallway-Mall look even sadder and smaller.  It was fun seeing the same old stores still there, like the old hobby shop, and so strange to see the new stuff, like a Forever21.  I got to pop into Forever21 and Gap since I'd saved some money from riding lessons, but I got overwhelmed at F21 quite fast.  The combination of a huge store, loud club music, strange lighting and decor was too much stimulation for me, I'm use to our quite little thrift stores and grocery stores.   I did find and cross a few things off of my list, aside from replacing my black tall boots, I think I'm done with shopping for the fall.

I did have the indention to take tons of pictures while down in Anchorage but I put the camera in my purse and never took it out aside from when we stopped along the drive.   It's a bummer, since the scenery is stunning, but at least it means I won't have millions of pictures in post in a photo dump.

Opps, that was a lie.  Photo dump warning.



I can't get over this smile of Gunnar's.  That eyebrow!

Not Anchorage, these photos were taken about 150 miles north of it after the road dropped down out of the Pass.  It was gray and rainy and the hills looks really cool with the fog rolling over them, but I couldn't quite capture it in my photos.











Today also happens to be this young man's Birthday.  I get to call him a grumpy old man now. (Well, I already do that.)  Love you dear and Happy Birthday.


Yikes, Katie without makeup.  And smiling like a moron.



I will try to be a better blogger this week, more posts and more commenting and visiting everyone.






7 comments:

  1. You have a great pictures like always and a very cute children :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just wondering last night where you were off to! Sounds like you've been busy. Never thought about how much work it takes to get ready for winter where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a busy bee you are! Welcome back. I can't believe how quickly the seasons change up there! It seems like just a few weeks ago that your leaves were all green and you were wearing shorts! Love the dress from the first few pictures:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^_^ These photos are great, I always enjoy your posts because they're always so positive and interesting. I'm extremely happy that I was able to help with the camera too :D Man, you have grumpy winter there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you guys are head-first into fall. A bit of a preview of the weeks to come for those of us further south. The idea of fallen leaves crunching under sturdy footwear is quite tantalizing now, actually. Anyways, I didn't come to take up real estate talking about the weather (how Canadian, eh), but to say how classy your combo of tan, black and red/burgundy looks. I'm also liking the deep V in the back of your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie, I'm glad you pointed out your sons smile. It's so cute! Love the expression.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)