Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A bump










Coat: Sears
Hat: Great Northwest (Fred Meyer/Kroger)
Shirt: J.Crew (thrifted)
Jeans: American Eagle
Boats: F by Fergie (Fred Meyer/Kroger)

I've been kind of hitting a bumpy spot with my camera lately.  I don't know if I'm just having a complete mental block, but I'm really struggling just to get a halfway decent shot.   I'm fine if I'm just shooting photos of others, but as soon as I put it on the tripod and try to get the settings right, I end up with an epic fail.  (These are the only decent photos out of almost a hundred.  That's both sad and pathetic.)   So I'm just trying to play around with the camera in all kinds of different light and see if I can get back on track with this.    Part of the reason I like blogging so much is working with the camera, even though I am such a beginner it's exciting to see how far I've come since the first month of taking photos.

One thing I've noticed is that there is a huge difference between the photos taking in the warm air and the photos taken in the cold.  My cold photos are much sharper, grainier and harsher looking.  I haven't quite figured out how to get around that, since the exposure settings don't seem to help with this.  (And I still haven't really figured out this appature thing, it's pretty hit and miss for me.)   So I'll have to ask if anyone has any imput on this, what do you do for your photos in the colder air? 


12 comments:

  1. I wish I had some suggestions to help with your camera. I still use a boring point-and-shoot so I think all your photos look lovely. I have a feeling, though, that most people do a lot of post-production editing to get their photos to look a certain way!

    As for your outfit, that jacket looks amazing on you. It really nips in your waist in a very flattering way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so cute! I love the jacket and the hat on you. I'm not sure if the temperature will affect my pictures, once we really start to cool down, I'll let you know! :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look great with and I love all you wear today :) I had problems with my camera ,too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blazer. So versatile.
    Iva

    http://fabmom12.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely not the one to ask for photography advice, but boy oh boy do I love that shirt. I'm really crushing on mustard yellow this fall and have purchased several items in the color in the past month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmmm i've never heard of a camera behaving one way in cold or not. VERY interesting! you look fabulous, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm I haven't even learned how to work mine, period! So you're ahead of me... super weird with the weather though. Maybe reset your settings? Regardless, you look fantastic!

    Amanda
    It's an Easy Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indiana Jones style :P
    Well, if it's a colder day then probably it's darker, so you have to put up a higher ISO or lower speed of the shutter. Usually the grainy effect is produced by the higher ISO, so it doesn't have to be too high. The last photos didn't came up that good because the background behind you is very bright, but you on the other hand turn out darker, because there is little light in front of your face, that's why many people use white blankets or paper to reflect the light. I'm not an expert, but I have the same problems when taking photos myself. Search for brighter spots, if they're shadier and darker play a little with the ISO or shutter speed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoy your rustic outdoors photos.

    The hat and jacket are adorable. Your outfits fit in so well with your surroundings; I like your unique style sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nix every other time I've ever state, "OMG this is my favorite outfit!" because seriously, OMG, this is my favorite outfit that you've put together, it is so aesthetically pleasing. Seriously, from the loud print to the military jacket ( I want one in white now) to your freaking sweet boots, I'm pretty sure this is how I want to dress from now on. I don't think that it's pathetic or sad that you're working so hard on polishing up your camera skillz, if anything it's a reminder for me that I should be working harder to do better in all matters of my life. I really love all of the new things that you've been trying out with your shots lately, and I find it more of a motivator to aim for better shots myself. I'm really lucky, my sister takes a lot of my pics, but according to the time and temperature of the day, she'll change the aperture setting manually as well as the ISO.

    xoxo,
    Genie


    www.uniqueandchicstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the nipped-in detailing of your jacket. I think I've commented on it before, but it's a FANTASTIC piece. I actually read through your comments as I was curious to hear any advice but it seems more people are in the same boat as you. I hear ya!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)