Saturday, August 11, 2012

I love you







Top: Jolie (Gift from my mom)
Skirt: Banana Republic (thrifted)
Shoes: Michael Michael Kors (thrifted)
Handbag: Rosetti (thrifted)
Jewelry: Thrifted
Coral and Turquoise bracelet: Made by a cousin

Years ago, my dad's family all got together for the forth of July.  My dad comes from a family of six kids, so it was a large reunion.  I was in charge of all the little ones and one afternoon we all went off on a little expedition through the forest and down to a little field where these beautiful, vibrant wild poppies grew.  All of the kids joined in on picking flower for little bouquets for their moms.  One little cousin took such great care with hers, she had such fun gathering up the flowers and made a stunning little flower bouquet to give to her mom.

This little cousin has been battling cancer for the past year.  She was in Africa last spring when she became horribly sick with fluid build-up in her lungs and it was such a horrible rush and panic to get her to a hospital in Germany.   At the hospital she was diagnosed with a rare cancer that shows up only in children and teens.   Even with aggressive treatment, the survival rate is very low.  She's struggled so hard over this past year and my uncle, aunt and my other little cousins have had such a rough and traumatic year, between the treatment from their church and peers to the medical bills to dealing with the possibility that she might not make it.  She's had surgery to remove the tumors in her brain and hip, but the last surgery wasn't successful at getting them.  She woke up this week paralyzed and the doctors have now sent her home.   It's the call everyone has really been dreading and we're going down to see her this weekend.  It is just so immensely heartbreaking and painful.

She has become such an amazing young lady these past couple years, she's grown up so much and is just the biggest sweetheart you could hope to meet.  She graduated with honors, is so smart and is an accomplished violinist  She brings joy to everyone around her.

I can't even begin to imagine the pain her and her family is going through right now.  I wish this wasn't happening to her or to them.   I don't even know what to say to her when I see her, or have any words of comfort. The only think I can think of to say is, "I love you."

This dangly coral and turquoise bracelet was made by another cousin who'd went through a painful loss as well a few years ago, I've been wearing it all week because of the memories and because it seems appropriate.

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you and your family are dealing with such tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man. i will definitely be keeping them in my prayers. i'm sorry you have to be going through all of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sucks so much when young people get sick, I get so angry! They don't deserve this, a lot of other people do! Thank you for sharing this, it must be really painful! Hugs and kisses from me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear that this is happening and that you and your family are going through such a hard time. I hope that everything will turn out to be alright, the bracelet is very beautiful.

    xoxo,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your cousin. Sometimes it's the little things that remind you of good memories that provide the most comfort, so I'm glad you can wear the bracelet and hold onto that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really sorry to hear about your little cousin, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about what your cousin - and your family - is going through. She must be a remarkable little cousin to have kept her spirits up despite this heart-breaking journey. It's a reminder to squeeze all the love and kindness we can out of life and make the most of every precious breath we take. She's in my thoughts, I'm wishing for a full recovery for her.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)