Thursday, June 7, 2012

Off topic?










Blouse: Michael Michael Kors (Fireweed Consigment shop)
Skirt: H&M (Fireweed Consigment shop)
Shoes: Old Navy
Clutch: ? (thrifted)
Necklace: Sears (Seriously, they have some crazy cute costume jewelry right now and it is so cheap!)
Bracelets: Claires

I like big, crazy, curly hair.  My hair sadly is not big and curly but after all day in a bun, it's half way acceptable. (Would you guess I didn't even brush it today? Hahhah, I'm halfway to hickdom now.) 

Let's keep playing the guess game.  Would you guess that I took these pictures at 10:30 at night? Oh, Alaskan summers, I love you for your sunshine all night, it has made photo taking so much easier than trying to cram in all in before it gets dark at 2:30pm. (Winter, I'm talking about you!)

Speaking of winter, we had a huge power outage yesterday, it took out most of the traffic lights and of course, home electrical and when the power did come back, the Internet was all screwed up.  This relates to winter because we normally get our power outages in the winter, due to snow on the lines and stuff.  however, we don't have to worry about avalanches  taking out the power lines, not much for mountains right in the Fairbanks area, unlike Seward.  I grew up in Seward, a little coastal town and we lived out of town right in between two huge avalanche gullies.  One winter we had a record amount of snow and most of the Seward highway was cut off from the rest of Alaska, the National guard was even called in.  At my house we had a mile stretch of open road where we were completely cut off from the rest of the world, both towards Seward and towards Anchorage and it stayed that way for a few days. 

That was a tad off topic.  Maybe next time I'll talk about the time we took a canoe to get to the bus stop. I'm going to be a fantastic old person, boring youngsters with my stories of walking 80.7 miles uphill in a blizzard fighting wolverines to get to school, just because my pet poplar bear Sparky came down with the flu.  (Uh, not really.  Polar bears are seriously some of the scariest animals. They're quite and sneaky and playing dead does not work.)

This was a rambley post.  I don't blame you if you stopped reading partway through the second paragraph.

16 comments:

  1. Love that top Katie, and what a pretty necklace! We lost power for like an hour last week and I was freakin' out....I don't like the dark...or not showering :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, tell me about it! Running water is the best thing ever. ~WARM running water is just icing on the cake!

      Delete
  2. I love the tie-dye-ish top on you, Katie! That is so crazy that Alaska is light out at 10:30 pm. Does it make it hard to go to bed?!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It stays light out all night during the summer, I've never had a problem with going to sleep, but it does really affect some people. (the same with the lack of daylight during the winter.)

      Delete
  3. As someone who has fine, stick straight hair I can definitely relate to the bun to create body thing. As annoying as it is to have straight hair sometimes, it's super low maintenance.

    PS cute top:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hhahahaha, you really make me smile. I can't believe you took these pictures at 10:30 p.m.!!! You look fantastic in this outfit, I especially love the necklace!

    www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool shirt!
    I would love for you to visit my blog sometime!!
    :)
    Allison
    afashionfiles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the semi-curly hair, it's very flattering!! I had no clue that Polar Bears were so dangerous...they're adorable and they like to drink Coke during Xmas... I don't believe your claims of danger! Is that a leather skirt I see?!? I wouldn't know, I passed out from the excitement :)

    xoxo,
    Genie


    www.uniqueandchicstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they beat people with those coke bottles! ^_^ No, they're just really dangerous. Up in the really northern parts of alaska, you have to be super careful. In Barrow, you don't go outside without someone having a gun, just because they show up in town and people are fairly tastey.

      Delete
    2. That's scary! Is this all year round or just winter?

      Delete
  7. Your hair looks cute in these photos! I love how you styled the leather skirt and still made the outfit look like it would totally be appropriate for the workplace. Living in Alaska sounds like it comes with a lot of adventures and excitement :D I've never experienced a power outage for more than maybe 10 minutes... nor had I ever had to canoe to the bus stop, or canoe period :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, you are so sweet! ^_^ I'm not a fan of power outages, they usually arn't too long in town, but I remember times when we didn't have power for two weeks. (this was fairly common in the winter down by the coast.) Canoes are pretty fun, they're just really tippy in the water. :P

      Delete
  8. You took these at 10:30?? wow it seems pretty cool living in Alaska! And do you really just keep a canoe at your house? Hahah I have a lot of questions today :) Anyway, I LOVE this outfit, especially your top and statement necklace. I love adding statement necklaces to outfits to make my outfit more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahhah, that was at least 15 years ago when we had a really bgad rain season, it flooded out our road down to the bus stop, so rather than do a long walk around, we just paddled the canoe out to the stop. (It ended up being pointless, since the water flooded out the main road just a few miles past us!) And thank you, you are such a doll! I agree, I love adding statement necklaces, they are so much fun. :)

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)