Sunday, May 20, 2012

Denim vest and sun






Vest: Thrifted
Dress: F21 (thrifted)
Shoes: Payless
Bracelet, Ring: Sears
Handbag: Jessica Simpson (thrifted)
Belt: The abyss within the closet

Remember when I wrote this post on thrifting?  Well, I have to eat my words. (Again. It's becoming a regular thing.) I was going through the dress rack at the thrift store and my fingers snagged on this fabric and when I spotted the pretty striped pattern, I was like "Oooh, something nice!)

And then I looked at the tag.  Forever 21. 

It was such a pretty dress I had to try it on and it looked so good on, I just went for it.  It's surprisingly well made, thick material that feels like linen, good seams, in fantastic shape and fully lined!  At best off all, I really love this dress.  So take that, katie-mrs-smarty-pants.

Should I talk about how much I hate non-lined clothing?  It drives me crazy.  I don't want to have to buy a slip to wear under my dress, or worry too much about panty lines or that even with TWO slips on, people can still tell what color my panties are. Not to mention the serious static cling that you get with non-lined dresses/skirts.  Am I the only one who feels this way?


We have a pretty fun weekend, fun of sunshine and good times. I had an amazing riding lesson on Saturday and afterwards the kids and I picked up my little sister and went over to Nana and pop-pop's house.  My youngest brother got back that day from Boarding school, everyone was so happy to see him, it's been since Christmas. He's been having an amazing time, his pilot training is going really well and after next year he'll be finished! 
Mom and dad got Gunnar and Izzy this John Deer trike and wagon, it was going to be just for their house, but poppop relented after Gunnar dragged it down the driveway, opened the back hatch of the jeep and got the wagon in. (the trike was too heavy!)  It was so cute, poppop just couldn't say no. :)




26 comments:

  1. The natural Colours suits you very well ,love the first Picture ,cause your Hair looks so nice :)

    big hug

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is so cute, and I love the denim vest with it!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, i just love a good denim vest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That stripe dress is awesome. I love the jeans jacket over it.
    it seems like living in alaska is fun and piecefull. what the weather like now Kattie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has finally picked up, we've been having some really nice, warm sunny days and the grass is green and it just looks lovely out! It really is such an amazing place to live, but you have to love being outdoors and nature. (It is stressful in the winter with the cars breaking down and the crazy drivers.)

      Delete
  5. Love, love, love this outfit:) I like a lining, but hate it when the lining feels a size smaller than the dress or skirt and as a result it doesn't fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I have to agree with you! I had that happen with a talbots dress, the dress itself was fairly loose but the lining was at least two sizes smaller than the dress!

      Delete
  6. What an adorable dress, Katie! I love the ruffle and sweetheart necklace...it's very flattering :)

    -Sharon
    Enter my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denim vests are great because they have an effortlessly cool look. You can't go wrong with one.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  8. and now you've inspired me to print my denim vest out

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darling ensemble! You look amazing in the dress!

    Love & Lollies... Jessa

    Caked Vintage Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a darling dress -- love that its a halter!

    xxx
    www.ladyalamode.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty dress and it looks great with the denim vest :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the denim vest over the pretty summer dress - great idea! :)

    Life Etc

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been seeing denim vests all over the place recently, but I feel like I couldn't pull one off. Seeing how cute you look makes me want to try, though!

    xo,
    Hannah
    www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it, the whole combination is perfect and those colors look great on you, you have a lovely blog dear :) I'm following you now

    Love!
    www.sabrilettsarmoire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh I hate unlined clothing too, slips are always bunching and doing weird things. Your denim vest is the perfect piece for layering :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Girl where is your pickup? You look like you're ready for a road trip across the southwestern US! I'm glad you decided buying a dress you truly loved was more important that sticking to some silly principle. I still love my thrifted striped blazer from Walmart's George line even though it cost me a whopping $12.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I don't have a pickup, but I do have an old jeep, so just as good! (And oh yes, I do love a good road trip!) And thank you, I've been trying to really stick to buying only clothes that I love, even if that means buying the clothes from the cheaper brand that I love and passing up on the bigger brand name clothes that I maybe don't love and would only buy for the brand. (I always love seeing the clothes you thrift, you have such good finds!)

      Delete
  17. What great thrift finds! Love this outfit dear!!

    xx
    Cecilia
    dearestlou.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too cute! Now that I think about it, yes I do have some beef with those pesky non-lined dresses. I didn't know that your hair was that long, you look beautiful!

    xoxo,
    Genie


    www.uniqueandchicstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you are so sweet Genie! Thanks for saying that, I've been having urges lately to cut it super short again. (It happens every five years, I get sick of the long hair and chop it all off.) But after hearing you say that, I might just have to keep it long. :) Thanks sweetie!

      Delete
  19. The dress is so pretty! And grrr I don't like non-lined dresses or skirts either. It is just so annoying to have to wear a slip underneath :( But I really like this outfit, you are rocking the denim vest!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)