Monday, April 2, 2012

Thrifting fun (And pretty clothes!)








Jacket: Fred Meyer/Kroger
Vest: Old Navy
Shirt: Silk (thrifted)
Skirt: Anne Taylor (Thrifted)
Belt: Sears
Shoes: Report (Famous Footwear)

I love silk blouses and I love being able to find them at the thrift store for $5!  I've gotten so much wear out of this blouse, the pattern is very soft and it is such a beautiful beige-champagne color, it works with patterned and colorful bottoms.   The Easter egg skirt makes it's appearance again with a red belt and vest, but minus the sweater. (This skirt is another fantastic thrifting find, it's silk and has such an off-beat dot pattern, I can dress it up and down.)

If you are on a budget(like I am) thrifting really is the way to go.  I've found thing that were normally far out of my price range, like the lovely Christian Dior skirt I thrifted around Christmas time, to items I normally would not have tried, like loose blouses.  Thanks to thrifting, I've manged to build a closet with lovely, good quality clothes.

Thrifting can be scary if you are just starting out.  It can be overwhelming and the first few times are sometimes discouraging. (I know they were for me, I had the hardest time when I first started thrifting.)  When I go into a thrift store  I have an idea of what I'm looking for, or I go to my favorite section.  I like to shop skirts first, then I move to dresses and shirts.  When shopping for tops rather than look through each one, I browse by color and feel, using my fingers to alert me to silk or other nice fabrics.  

Thrift store are the place to buy nice brands!  I love finding Talbots, Anne Taylor, J.Crew or Banana Republic since I know those brands will hold up well.  I for the most part avoid Forever21 and Old Navy at the thrift store, just because they're usually not in good shape by then. (But this isn't a hard and fast rule, if you find something you really like and fits well and looks good, buy it regardless of brand. Weirdly, Merona for Target seems to be a brand that holds up well.)  The thrift store are usually great for blazers as well, the majority of my  blazers come from the thrift store or good ol' Sears.

ne thing I do have to keep in mind is don't get carried away.  This is the retail trap, you find something so cheap you can't help but take it home and then never wear it.   If you can't think of a couple different outfits to build around an item, don't buy it unless it is the best thing ever and you know you'll regret it. 

The best advice I have for beginning thrifters is to jump right on in and to keep at it.  Eventually you find amazing things for crazy prices and you end up with a closet full of beautiful clothes that you really love.  Good luck!

16 comments:

  1. So cute! Love the polka dot skirt with that vest :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Annie, these two are in heavy rotation in my closet, I was surpised I hadnt worn them together yet. ^_^

      Delete
  2. Soooooooo true. Every word of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a similar strategy. I go to dresses first, then skirts, then shoes and bags and if I'm up for it I'll browse the pants and shirts. My favorite thrift store sorts things by size instead of color. At that one I go through everything in my size:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dresses and skirts always seem so easy to go through, I get so tried by the time I'm done looking at the tops! (Maybe becuase it's harder to tell if a top will look cute on or not, dresses and skirts are easy that way.) And don't get me started on sizing, I have found the wonkiest sizes at the thrift store. (Ill have to do a post on that sometime.)

      Delete
  4. Great look you've put together here, I love that skirt! Such an awesome thrift find!

    XO,
    Erin
    http://erinscurrentlycoveting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really love this skirt as well, it's such a fun one to wear.

      Delete
  5. I adore what your wearing! Merci for the thrifting tips! Im sad to say i dont have nearly as much time for second hand shopping anymore :( i miss it so! It's always so exciting, you never know what you might findd O_O. I do agree with th not getting carried away though- there's a £3 and under shop close to me and i aways get soooo carried away and come out with armfuls of rubbish i dont want >_<. I have found some gems though! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you are too sweet! It does take time thrifting, I always need at least an hour. (I do the same thing, I really have to edit my self or I get home with clothing that doesn't fit my style, or is too out there, or I have to make serious alterations too. But I've gotten much better lately and only buying things I love, reguardless of how cheap they are.)

      Delete
  6. I have this vest - it's one of my favorite pieces :) Love your pretty skirt!

    xo,
    Hannah
    www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the best vest, it works with everything! ^_^

      Delete
  7. Thanks for these tips; I went thrifting twice before and once I found something I LOVED the second time, ehhhh not so much. But I guess I was too impatient :P Anyway, wow the blouse is such a good find. I love silk blouses and it looks really nice with the tougher surplus vest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, it can be so hit or miss thrifting, but it's so worth it when you find something awesome! (I get so excited!) And thank you, I love silk blouses, they feel sooo nice on and drape really well.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)