Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Take care







Blazer: Banana Republic (Thrifted)
Shirt: Old Navy
Skirt: (Swapped!)
Belt: Claire's
Shoes: R2 Footwear (Famous Footwear)
Handbag: Coach (Consignment shop)
Necklace and Bracelet: Sears

I am so sore.  The ground has thawed out enough that we're back to riding at the barn and I decided to stop being lazy and get back into training.  So what did I do after taking a few month off during the winter?  I went and ran two miles last night after  going to the barn and putting in a good two hours riding. Yeah, I was about dead this morning, but I managed to get another run in.   When I was younger I rode Show Jumpers and Hunters and was pretty serious about it, to the point where I was considering moving to Cali to ride professionally, but ended up going to school and moving to Fairbanks.  Last year my mom and I found an amazing trainer who is one of the best I've ever met and we started getting into training again.  It's warm enough that I'll start teaching lessons again in exchange for riding time and riding more, I'm so excited.  (The running I'm not excited about, but it's important to get back into shape for riding.).  Horses are one of those things I can go and on for hours about, but this isn't a pony blog! 

This skirt I swapped with my little sister, I gave her a skirt I don't wear very often and she gave me this skirt she  made from a dress. (Thanks sis!)  It's such a fun and flippy skirt, but it made for some embarrassing moments in the wind. (And on the ice, I'm sure everyone at GCI got a good laugh out of me falling flat on my face.)


In unrelated news, a young lady in our community who was abducted two months ago while leaving her work was found.  Samantha Koenig was located in Matanuska Lake this morning, our prayers go out to her family.  Alaska is large but community wise it's very small and everyone knows everyone who knows everyone and we had all hoped that she would be found alive and well. 

Everyone has really been struck by this tragedy and hopefully the conversation will turn towards people protecting themselves.  As an Alaskan I have carried a gun and know how to use it, but I advocate every woman to carry pepper spray.  This get discounted as not being effective, but pepper spray is far easier to use than a handgun and the chances of YOU getting hurt are less as well. (Not to mention the chances of your children shooting themselves are less.) I always carry pepper spray in my purse and have for years, after either working very late shifts or walking down the big, dark hill to the campus parking lot and I've found to it be very effective. I advise women to buy three canisters of pepper spray, one to practice with, and then one as a back up.  If walking alone or at night or anytime you may be venerable, carry it in your hand, ready to go and be aware of your surroundings.  Self defense if also useful, but not if you only take one class.  Enrolling in some kinds of martial arts and then staying with it until it is ingrained into your muscle memory is the best, sparring is also helpful with seeing how you think and can respond in a threatening situation.. (Although my nose may not agree with that last statement, I broke it during a sparring session years ago.)

I'm sorry, this ended up being a heavier post than I intended when I first started typing it up, but self-protection is something I feel strongly about and this was such an awful tragedy.  Samantha Koenig , rest in piece and our prayers go out to your family.


7 comments:

  1. great outfit! love your bag :)
    Sorry to hear about the poor lady :( hope she rest in peace xx.
    http://blushjewellery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about Samantha - that's so sad.

    Love the green & navy combo, and your bag is TOO cute!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  3. The skirt is beautiful. You made a good change :)
    Sad stories happend everytime, everyhere :/ I hope she rest in peace

    http://russiandolls-ac.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about the tragedy with Samantha :( That's really sad.

    On a lighter note, I really like that skirt and the blazer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute outfit
    http://shana-style.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the floral skirt with the green top, so perfect for spring!

    So sorry to hear about what happened to Samantha, self defense does seem very important :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)