Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Challenge: Jean Skirt







 


Jacket: Sears
Shirt: Old Navy
Skirt: Gottshacks
Scarf: Fred Meyer/Kroger
Hat: Great Northwest
Bag: Bueno
Shoes: Uk Style by French Connection(Sears)

One thing I struggle with is denim skirts.  How do you wear them without looking too young and teenager-ish, or looking like you're Russian Orthodox? (This one may only apply to Alaska, as we have a large population of Russian Orthodox.  Women don't wear pants, so you see a lot of denim skirts.  But I think this applies to most locations, almost everywhere has a conservative group who wears a lot of denim skirts.)  The other side of this is NOT looking like a Badger Road lady and wearing your denim mini with a tube top and being 30-50 years past pulling off that look. 

So this was my challenge.  I've had this skirt for over ten years, but I stopped wearing it 5 years ago, just because I couldn't figure out how to style a denim skirt.  That's right, I couldn't do what millions of women and girls do naturally. I'm practically un-American.

So I went my to my trusty military jacket, patterned scarf and leopard print booties.  Because leopard print makes everything better.  Just ask a Jersey girl.   (Please don't hate me Jersy girls, I love you for how you embrace animal print with such abandon.)

So, what clothing item do you struggle to style?  Or are you just awesome? (I suspect most of you are.)



8 comments:

  1. Skirt is great I love jeans skirts :)And all look with that leopard printed boots is lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I have a jean skirt scheduled for tomorrow's post too! I had a little trouble styling it too. But I love your layers and those awesome shoes :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a jean skirt tucked away in the closet, I should break it out! Love the scarf :) You look cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have trouble styling pants... But with the whole spring floral trend that might chAnge!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the belted jacket here! You are also totally rocking that hat.

    xo,
    Hannah
    www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denim skirts are tricky nowadays, but I think you pulled it brilliantly! The length and layers are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did an amazing styling with the denim skirt! The touch of military and leopard accents definitely gives it a nice feel.. oh, I really struggle wearing black dress pants- so simple, yet so challenging...
    Good luck!

    skinnymoonstick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This outfit looks effortlessly cool and well thought-out from hat to heel (almost wrote hell, oops!). I think you styled a tricky item really well. We all have something like that in our closet.

    I have a vintage tiered dress in a tomato red colour that's very look-at-me on its own. The material isn't particularly dressy (basically sweatpants material) so it's not really one to save for very dressy occasions. So that one's pretty hard. I wore it once on the blog, here: http://asecondglanceblog.blogspot.ca/2011/08/its-my-birthday-and-i-can-twirl-if-i.html

    and have another post to go up next week with it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)