Saturday, February 11, 2012

Hats off








Jacket: Bebe (Thrifted)
Dress: The Limited
Handbag: Old Navy
Shoes; Old Navy
Fuax Fur Wrap: ? (Gift)
Hat: Great Northwest

I got the new Glamor magazine yesterday and they had a really interesting little story on image retouching, both in the industry and with personal photos.  Apparently, people don't think magazines should retouch their photos, but it is perfectly fine to extreme-retouch your personal photos for facebook and everything.

After reading this, I realized this was one reason why I love the style blogging world so much.  So many women are so honest and seem to put a lot of effort into presenting their personal selves as opposed to a character.  Rather than see how hot you can look, a lot of the style community is very creatively driven and there's so much support for each other.  I haven't been blogging that long but I've been amazed at the kindness and sweetness of the women in this community!  Even those who are super successful with their blogs are so kind to newcomers and are so supportive of each other.

It does not seem that very many style blogger retouch their photos to the extent that the magazine talked about, the most I've ever noticed was fixing brightness.   I personally do not retouch my photos, aside from in the beginning trying to fix brightness. (And as I become more skilled with the camera and learning about lighting, I really don't need to.)   I want this to present me, with all of my flaws and shortcomings.  I love that this community is focused on presenting real women and not photoshopped-to-oblivion mannequins.

Style/fashion blogging community, I take my hat off to you.

4 comments:

  1. I have a crappy little point and click, so I retouch a bit with the brightness/ temperature of the photo and I fix any red eye issues. I need to become more of a morning person so I can get more outdoor photos in, since those require less retouching.

    PS: Great outfit! Love olive and yellow together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, I love yellow, it's one of my favorite colors.

      I think fixing basic photo problems like lighting are pretty normal, we all do it. (Ah, lighting, so fickle.)
      What I was most shocked over was them talking about normal people(not clebs) erasing wrinkles, enhancing bustlines, photoshoping pounds away, changing basic features, stuff that you hear ad companies doing to models. It was like yikes! And the majority of people in the survey were fine with it.

      Delete
  2. You're totally right about the blogging community, everybody is quite supportive and kind :) You look smashing in the yellow dress, is it made with chiffon?

    xoxo,
    Genie

    www.uniqueandchicstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the chicest alaskan I know! I love your pleated Limited dress - absolutely gorgeous color on you, and is the perfect way to brighten up a cold winter day :-)

    your commentary on blogging images rings so true! While its scary for me sometimes to put yourself out there, it's so refreshing to see so many real, inspiring women such as yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I always like hearing feeback! (It really makes my day!)